Fresh, Salt or both?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondering what kind of tanks everyone has? Also where do you get most of your fish needs, LFS or online? :D

I can't belive no one ever replied to you! What's up California? I have been a member for almost a month, and rarely see any posts up here! I personally would like to get to know fellow Californian fish keepers! So I will start.

I currently have a Eclipse Hex 5 gallon FW tank with a beautiful crown tailed blood red betta, and two red clawed crabs. I have about four live plants in there as well. The tank is only three weeks old, in a few weeks I will add a plecostomus to make that tank complete.

I also have an Eclipse System 12 SW tank with 12lbs of LV, 3 green chromis, and a purple firefish. In early December (my best friend works at Petsmart and gets a 30-40% discount on one day in DEC), I will be purchasing an additional tank (40-75 gallons, dependant on price and stock) to serve as my main tank, at which point the 12 gallon will be a quarantine tank. In that tank (once up and running) my goal is to get a long horned cowfish. Of course when the cowfish gets bigger, he will need a bigger tank... well, you know how it goes! I currently live in a great little converted garage in Santa Cruz, so I don't have much room - but who needs a couch or a TV when you have fish tanks! (Now I just have to convince my boyfriend of that!)

I currently have been going through my LFS for supplies (since my tanks are small) but will place an order for quite a bit of LR to cycle my large tank. I will probably order from a couple of different places to get some variety (definitely liverocks.com and probably live aquaria) but will probably still special order fish from my LFS.

I look forward to hearing about everyone else's tanks soon. I will post pics as soon as I get my mom's digital camera (She is in Placerville 3 hrs away) If anyone else has pics to post, I would love to see them!

Jen

I would love to have a Betta tank in a planted tank, I've always loved the look of it but never got brave enough, we've tried live plants when we had freshwater tanks but either the fish would eat it or they would have snails that would eventually take over the plant and also the tank.

We've got our clownfish from Petco and had no problems very hardy. Pics of our tanks are in my gallery, we are thinking of going with a bigger tank downstairs(the 29 gallon) our toadstool leather is about 2 inches from the top of the water and can't bring ourselves to frag it :| It's hosted by the clownfish we have so I can't see chopping up it's home.

Look forward to the pics! :)

Kaurene

hey all, slightly new to the forum and figured i'd post a little;)

i keep freshwater tanks, i don't have the guts or the money to get started on salt (and probably will never have the money because it all goes towards my freshwater fish LOL).

currently i have 11 tanks:

2 gallon unfiltered betta tank. just a betta and some plant cuttings ;)

5 gallon containing Fundulopanchax gardneri N'Sukka (killifish), 3 largish apple snails and various "junk plants" (cuttings from my other tanks, the snails love them).

5 gallon containing Nothobranchius guentheri fry(killies again) from some eggs a friend sent to me. i'm ashamed to say they're not doing very well, i seem to be over-run with belly sliders :cry:

4-10 gallong divided betta tanks each holding 4 bettas. bettas are my first and truest love. i've been sporadically breeding them (as time and space allow) for the past 3 years. i used to have upwards of 150 bettas but we've recently moved to california from florida and i had to give most of them away. thus me only having 16 bettas (rarity for me and sure not to last long...i've got a spawn planned in the next couple of weeks LOL).

10 gallon fancy guppy tank, contains a bunch of guppies (i hope no one gets offended but i use some of the fry as live food...i couldn't find feeder guppies to breed around here, sorry fancy guppy enthusiasts) and one of my deformed bettas that i couldn't cull (mouth deformity so she is happy and healthy but can't bite the guppies :lol: ). i've also got a ton of live plants in this one, it's shaping up to be quite a good-looking tank, and i'm really starting to enjoy guppies in general.

10 gallon endler's livebearer tank. i ADORE these fish...i've never been a big livebearer fan (other than as food for my bettas), but these guys are awesome. this tank is also heavily planted with live plants.

29 gallon endler's livebearer and panda corydoras tank. these guys are a different strain of endler's than those in the 10 gallon, so i'm trying to keep them seperate. love my cories and my endler's ;) another heavily planted w/live plants tank.

55 gallon...sitting empty in the garage because i can't decide what i want to do with it yet ;)

most of my fish needs as far as supplies go, i get online. being a breeder i really enjoy using sponge filters and for some reason the LFS's i've been to out here don't carry them because they're useless. i get much better deals on other equipment buying online as well (other than tanks, i do get those at my LFS).

as far as fish go, almost every fish i own at this point (other than my cories and the fancy guppies) have come either from my own stock or from trading with other fish fanatics online. i've found that the fish are sooooo much healthier when you can get them from other hobbiests vs the LFS...and as you may be able to tell, i'm kind of a fan of small, native-type fish so they're pretty hard to come by in stores for the most part.

heh, yeah. i'm about to go buy 3 more 10's, but they're for betta spawning/growouts, so i'm not sure they count 8)

Wow! 11 tanks!
Talk about MTS huh?
I have one 100 gal FW 22in Red tail cat and Tilapia Mosambica and a 12gal Nano Reef only. Soon to convert my 100gal to reef as well.

I have a 90L Jebo R362. It's pretty bare; not much in it aside from a plant or two and 2 native fish.

I live in the San Fernando Valley Area. I got an airstone, an air pump, and some decorations from PetCo. Their prices are a little too high for my empty wallet. I get some emergency stuff from All Pet HQs right next to my house. I get most of my stuff from www.thatfishplace.com

I haven't really found any GREAT LFS near me... then again I haven't been looking. I am sans a driver's license and nobody drives me.

I have a 20 gallon saltwater tank that just finished cycling. Right now all I have is a damsel and 4 hermit crabs. I'm thinking about ditching the damsel and getting 2 false perc clownfish and a cleaner shrimp. I might also get a starfish or another cleaner shrimp.

Hey all,
I am here in Techno Silicon Valley. Well i have two tanks one two gallon eclipse FW explorer with two goldfish, for my sister. And one thirty gallon SW tank, with two perc clowns, one coral beauty, and two snails, i dont know what species. I just got rid of all the copper in my tank by placing Cuprisorb for four months straight. Next step is a PC Aqualight lighting fixture from drfostersmith.com and 25 lbs of LR from liverocks.com.

P-MAN

Back
Top Bottom