Looking to start a free Fish Club in San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoking

Aquarium Advice Regular
Free as in Free Beer :whistle:

Some ideas for the group

Get together and brainstorm on improving our fishy skills, nothing fancy, no member fees, just a group of people who are addicted to the hobby.

Each member could select a particular favorite fish to breed and then provide them free to members instead of buying at LFS. Fish will be more healthy home raised vs at the LFS and don't forget the Free Beer :whistle:

A support group, like AA AquaAddiction :fish1:

Good on you. Local clubs are one of my favorite things about the hobby. I've learned a ton from the folks in our club here.

Have you checked out San Diego Tropical Fish Society? They may have dues, but IMO the fees are very small for what you get out of it and the speakers you can meet and talk to.

Last edited:
Good on you. Local clubs are one of my favorite things about the hobby. I've learned a ton from the folks in our club here.

Have you checked out San Diego Tropical Fish Society? They may have dues, but IMO the fees are very small for what you get out of it and the speakers you can meet and talk to.

I've been thinking about checking that out...

I have also noticed alot of people on here from SD :) I don't think I have time for the meetings but I might have some extra mbuna after mine start breeding.

I"m not a fan of fee based clubs, I think it's silly to pay a fee just to mingle with other like minded people. Fish clubs should not be for profit and that's what these fees are or eventually turn into. My thinking of a club is meet at each others homes, have some food, free beer lol and learn from each other.

I"m not a fan of fee based clubs, I think it's silly to pay a fee just to mingle with other like minded people. Fish clubs should not be for profit and that's what these fees are or eventually turn into. My thinking of a club is meet at each others homes, have some food, free beer lol and learn from each other.

It costs money to hold meetings, conduct auctions, and to host top notch speakers. In our case here, a family membership is $18 a year. In the last 12 months we have gotten to meet, speak with, and learn from some of the biggest names and most knowledgable people in the hobby. Silly is a matter of opinion.

^Didn't you guys meet Amano once at a meeting?

I totally agree with HN1 regarding memberships. While I can sort of see your point in having to pay to associate, the benefits of paying such a small fee pay off big time. Unfortunately, there aren't any fw clubs around here that I am aware of... If there were, I would certainly be a member. Making friends who breed fish can, and usually will, result in some awesome fish making it to your tank.

We met Mr. Amano at the AGA convention. He was very nice and fortunately his interpreter's English was better than my Japanese. ;)

It costs money to hold meetings, conduct auctions, and to host top notch speakers. In our case here, a family membership is $18 a year. In the last 12 months we have gotten to meet, speak with, and learn from some of the biggest names and most knowledgable people in the hobby. Silly is a matter of opinion.

Meetings ? I hate meetings, but I love get togethers, no need to rent out a meeting room and other groups can be established so not too many in one group.

Auctions ? What auctions, my thinking with enough people picking a favorite fish to breed we can get our fish healthy and free from each other, auctions are over-rated I think.

Anyone want a free healthy clown loach ? See how easy that was ?

As for meeting with big names, seriously ? What makes them big besides the name. Again over-rated, the group can become experts themselves by learning from each other. You can pretty much become an expert in anything in a few months. Well maybe not that soon, but you know what I mean. I've been in it for only 6 months and have come to understand more than some experts doing it for years so it's all relative what an expert is and what a name is. All an expert really is is someone who understands the basics, anything else is extra fluff.

This forum here has many experts we can gain valuable advice from, what else does one need ?

As long as one has a desire to learn, they become experts in no time.

Meetings ? I hate meetings, but I love get togethers, no need to rent out a meeting room and other groups can be established so not too many in one group.

Auctions ? What auctions, my thinking with enough people picking a favorite fish to breed we can get our fish healthy and free from each other, auctions are over-rated I think.

As for meeting with big names, seriously ? What makes them big besides the name. Again over-rated, the group can become experts themselves by learning from each other. You can pretty much become an expert in anything in a few months. Well maybe not that soon, but you know what I mean. I've been in it for only 6 months and have come to understand more than some experts doing it for years so it's all relative what an expert is and what a name is. All an expert really is is someone who understands the basics, anything else is extra fluff.

This forum here has many experts we can gain valuable advice from, what else does one need ?

Again, to each their own. To say that experts are simply people who know basics with extra fluff is pretty incredibly ignorant though. Good on you if you know people that have researched (I mean really scientifically researched) in the far corners of the world. I personally like speaking to people who have collected from the Rift lakes or the ditches of Central and South America. Folks that know first hand the breeding characteristics of fish you've never heard of. The "names" I'm talking about are not fluff, they are the leaders and pioneers of aquatic and fish research.... Konings, Wessel, Amano, Davis, etc. etc. You need to probably try to know what you are talking about before you start talking next time. I tried to help you, but it seems you want to argue. I suspect the get together you are looking for would consist of co and mart associates and would do nothing to further the hobby. Again, to each their own. Enjoy and happy fishkeeping.

good luck

leaders and pioneers of aquatic and fish research = fluff

But if you enjoy worshiping these pro famers go for it. I'd rather learn from the real leaders, the neighborhood Aqua superheros who keep their tanks clean and fish happy.

The average fish enthusiast cares very little about lakes or the ditches of Central and South America.

good luck to you too

Thanks. My 70 plus tanks are doing fine and filled with breeding pairs of fish you've never heard of. I appreciate the "luck" though. The fact that your stated "average" is ignorant to the environmental pressures that the fish we love are under needs no further highlight. You've definitely defined your "niche". Happy fishkeeping!

im sorry but when's the last time you ever heard of a buncch of "like minded" guys getting togethef for some free beer and talking about fish keeping as a hobby???

and as for the "fees" ....would bill gates do a guest speech on building a successful computer business for free??? uhhhh no...
I don't mind when people like to dispute something, but it generally works in your best interest if you have a complete grasp of the subject BEFORE disputing it...

Tomaydo, tomato; potato, potarto; one mans meat is another mans poison.....I could go on lol

Back
Top Bottom