N. Colorado / Denver to Fort Collins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, coming from a guy with 10 fish tanks, and over 200 fish, they have maybe 5 fish that I have. So although u may disagree, they literally have never stocked a good 90% of the fish I own.

Stingrays, puffers, peacock bass, arowana, payara, nile perch, arapaima, datnoids, wolf fish, are just some of the fish that have never graced the doors of Neptunes.

I will say, the store is kept clean and they have a decent plant and saltwater selection, but for the fish keeper that needs more than average Neptunes just doesn't cut it.

If neptune's (or any fish store) stocked the fish you have regularly I would deem it irresponsible. Several of the fish you listed there can grow 5+ feet and don't belong in anything but public aquariums. They keep more than the average. that can be evidenced by just walking into 90% of LFS and you will see rather quickly that the stock at Neptunes is by far more diverse and rare. While they do keep a lot of the bread and butter species (got to keep the doors open, right (y)) they do get in a lot of uncommon fish. I mean, what fish store gets in Nile perch on a regular basis :nono: . I mean that fish is endangered in the wild, grows up to six feet and is rarely if ever bred in captivity. Same goes for Arapaima Gigas, datnoids, and a couple others on your list. Im glad they don't get those fish in and would be ashamed to support a monster fish trade wiping out species declining in the wild. I have seen them get quite a few of the dwarf puffer species regularly but not something like a Mbu. As you seem to collect more rarely seen species in the hobby I can see where you're coming from though. Im the same with plants and what they have is usually above average but I usually have to order from members on TPT to get what I want.

I understand your feelings on the large fish, but I know guys with tanks at 1,000 gallons + that I sell my grow outs to for a very decent turn around. And once I'm on concrete foundation, it will no longer be an issue of selling my monsters because I'll be able to accommodate them to full scale on concrete. Also, arapaima, datnoids, arowana, etc etc etc are farmed fish, they're not being exported as wild caught fish. I would never spend the type of money I spend on fish to buy something wild caught full of parasites brought in from south america. But even the monster fish aside, they RARELY have anything but your typical rummies, cardianls, cories, rams, etc etc etc. I've seen tire track eels a couple times, maybe a few apistogramma here and there. But as far as even the small fish we keep, they're not touching anything on a very rare level. You go into aqua imports in boulder, about fish, or golden fish, and they're stock level as an entirety is just going to be on another level of where Neptunes is at.

For plants, I'll give Neptunes credit. But then again, aqua imports is about 1/2 to 1/4 of the price for a way larger plant selection if u can make the drive (2 completely stocked 125 gallons of plants). We drive up there all the way from Aurora because of the rarity of the fish and the plants. Right now they've actively got lungfish, 2 types of peacock bass, silver and jardino arowana, puffers, and a giant saltwater selection with coral that dwarf Neptunes salt section. And also the "bread and butter".

I'll give Neptunes credit, it's a good clean store with healthy decent fish. I'm not gonna argue that. All I will argue is if you're looking for WOW factor Neptunes isn't the place to find it. That's all.

I understand your feelings on the large fish, but I know guys with tanks at 1,000 gallons + that I sell my grow outs to for a very decent turn around. And once I'm on concrete foundation, it will no longer be an issue of selling my monsters because I'll be able to accommodate them to full scale on concrete. Also, arapaima, datnoids, arowana, etc etc etc are farmed fish, they're not being exported as wild caught fish. I would never spend the type of money I spend on fish to buy something wild caught full of parasites brought in from south america. But even the monster fish aside, they RARELY have anything but your typical rummies, cardianls, cories, rams, etc etc etc. I've seen tire track eels a couple times, maybe a few apistogramma here and there. But as far as even the small fish we keep, they're not touching anything on a very rare level. You go into aqua imports in boulder, about fish, or golden fish, and they're stock level as an entirety is just going to be on another level of where Neptunes is at.

For plants, I'll give Neptunes credit. But then again, aqua imports is about 1/2 to 1/4 of the price for a way larger plant selection if u can make the drive (2 completely stocked 125 gallons of plants). We drive up there all the way from Aurora because of the rarity of the fish and the plants. Right now they've actively got lungfish, 2 types of peacock bass, silver and jardino arowana, puffers, and a giant saltwater selection with coral that dwarf Neptunes salt section. And also the "bread and butter".

I'll give Neptunes credit, it's a good clean store with healthy decent fish. I'm not gonna argue that. All I will argue is if you're looking for WOW factor Neptunes isn't the place to find it. That's all.

I get you now. (y) Ill have to check out aqua imports. Where is it located?

Back
Top Bottom