0.25ppm Ammonia help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExtremeBoss

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! Today I did an Ammonia test on my 10 gallon tank and the result was light green under yellow, which is 0.25ppm. So the thing is, I want to do a water change to get it back to 0ppm, but I have a question. How much water should I take out and what does that LOOK like. Thanks.

Do a 25% water change. Retest every day and if you see any ammonia do a 25% water change. Keep this up until you are consistently 0ppm.

Could i ask a few questions? Your post doesn't give much background.

Are you a novice fish keeper?

Are you currently cycling your aquariums?

Do you have your other water parameters?

If you want to see what a 0ppm ammonia test looks like, do a test on some bottled water.

Your ammonia is not a problem unless your pH is around 8. What is the pH of your water?

The pH of my water is 6.4.
The common aquarium “ammonia” test measures the total ammonia, both ionized and un-ionized (Total Ammonia Nitrogen or TAN).

The chronic toxicity, where the ammonia kills slowly by a variety of mechanisms, is as follows:

• 20 to 100 ppm of ammonia TAN at a pH of 6.0
  • 2 to 10 ppm of ammonia TAN at a pH of 7.0
  • 0.2 to 1 ppm of ammonia TAN at a pH of 8.0
Any pH between the above numbers you will have to make a linear interpolation. As you can see there is a 10 times increase or decrease in toxicity between pH levels.

A pH of 6.5 will reduce the growth of beneficial bacteria by 90%. A pH of 6.0 will virtually stop beneficial bacteria from oxidizing ammonia to nitrate; hence ammonia may be on the rise.

Back
Top Bottom