0 readings all across the board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse W

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I recently setup a 75 gallon with some good bacteria filled filter media. However from what I see I have zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and Zero nitrate. I am cycling with 4 guppies at the moment. Is it all possible my tank cycled in 2 days and such a small bioload not giving a detectable level of nitrate? Any opinions appreciated!

Do you have live plants? That could be the reason your nitrates are at 0. However, 4 guppies in a 75 is a very very light bioload...........

Do you have live plants? That could be the reason your nitrates are at 0. However, 4 guppies in a 75 is a very very light bioload...........

I do, should have mentioned that. Pretty heavily planted.

then that would probably be why. 4 guppies aren't producing many nitrates and those very few nitrates are being quickly eaten by the plants. You probably want a few more fish, as a planted tank with 0 nitrates is not good. Your plants may start showing nitrate deficiency.

then that would probably be why. 4 guppies aren't producing many nitrates and those very few nitrates are being quickly eaten by the plants. You probably want a few more fish, as a planted tank with 0 nitrates is not good. Your plants may start showing nitrate deficiency.

Thanks! You'd consider that a successful cycle though? I feel uneasy about putting more fish in without seeing any real spikes in ammonia or nitrite.

4 guppies in a 75 hardly creates any ammonia or nitrite. If you had seeded media it probably took care of the tiny amounts of them very quickly. That is why you probably didn't see any spikes. Add a few more fish; don't go nuts, just add a couple more and see where that gets you.

4 guppies in a 75 hardly creates any ammonia or nitrite. If you had seeded media it probably took care of the tiny amounts of them very quickly. That is why you probably didn't see any spikes. Add a few more fish; don't go nuts, just add a couple more and see where that gets you.

Ok thanks for the advice!

I'd add more fish. 4 guppies in a 75 gal isn't much at all. Also remember that the bacteria will adjust down to your bioload, so without more fish you'll actually start losing bacteria.

I'd add more fish. 4 guppies in a 75 gal isn't much at all. Also remember that the bacteria will adjust down to your bioload, so without more fish you'll actually start losing bacteria.

I'm going to get some fish today. Just tight on money and it makes it harder.

Back
Top Bottom