1.0 - 2.0 ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

academyy_xx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank for a month now and up until a week ago, my ammonia levels were 0 to 0.35 ppm. I did a 30% water change about 3 days ago and when I checked earlier today, my ammonia was between 1.0 to 2.0. I know this is high and I am not overfeeding my fish cause I physically watch them eat at 90% of it. I have two red-tails and two plecos that eat whatever gets left at the bottom. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Please help!

A couple of water changes would be good to start with, but check your tap water again, see if there's ammo in there. Sometimes municipalities can do things differently to the water that may be causing the ammonia to spike. If it isn't the tap water, then there's something else going on. Maybe check the filters, maybe sure there aren't any dead fish or old fish food stuck in there, swish the media in tank water to loosen up any debris that could be decaying and causing the spike. Maybe do a gravel vac to suck up any uneaten food or waste that could be decaying along the bottom.

You can use an ammonia removing filter pad. I currently use a pad that removes ammonia and ammonia doesnt register and hasn't since the day after I started using it.

I hate advertising, but petmountain has a great black Friday sale going on until the 25th. Four days to pick up what you need or want.

I'm ordering

Trace $4.41 (250 ml)
Potassium $4.47 (250 ml)
Carbon/Krebs $4.47 (8.5 oz)
Ammonia pad (18x10) $4.48
Phosphate Pad (18x10) $4.73
Carbon Pad (18x10) $4.16

Total $26.72 (free shipping @ $25.00) code: black25

Your tank might not be cycled yet since its only 4 weeks what are your other levels.

Back
Top Bottom