1/2" Barb Terror!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DodgeRT

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need an APB put out on my new Tiger Barb, he's a menace!

I have a 30gal tank that was home to 4 Tiger Barb's, about 1" to 1 1/2" in length. They've been around awhile. So I decide to go get a couple more Tiger Barbs because I really like them. I got 4 new little babies, about 1/2" in length at most and put them in.

Well one of them is an absolute terror. I mean this fish chases everything he see's, including my 4 much much larger than him Barbs! Im afraid he is going to stress out the other little fish and kill them. Its like he needs ritalin or something.

I checked out the water and all is well and all the other fish seem to be acting normal (when they are not being harassed). Is there anything I can do? Is this normal behavior? I know Barbs can be aggressive but to the point of picking on much larger fish?

It is quite possible that your new fish is a male and that at least some of your others are females. Would certainly explain his interest in chasing them around. Male Tiger Barbs are know to be 'ardent' suitors when it comes to the ladies. :)

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom