1 Cherry Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have just ONE Cherry Barb in their community tank? I did a bit of research before buying a Cherry Barb and many of the places I looked said that IF they school, it is a loose school, and not common... 2 Cherry Barbs are fine (a pair).

Anywho - I decided to get this lovely male cherry barb today but they didn't have a female at the independent LFS. They are getting more Friday... But I really liked this guy - he seemed perfect for my tank... The male that I got swam w/o interaction with the other male cherry barbs (about 4 others of them) that were chasing each other around the tank. He was just kinda cool, hanging out, and very peaceful. I watched him for about a 1/2 hour before I decided to get him. And he is in my tank doing quite well. Eating, munching at the bottom of the tank and hanging out and checking out his new home. No one seems to mind him being there.

Should I go looking for a female cherry barb? Or will he be fine in my tank (36 gallon) with 6 various danios, 1 angel, 1 pearl gourami, 1 pleco.

Thanks!
Janelle

Yes, it is a loose school.

They can live singly so long as you have other peaceful fish, only temporarily though. I only kept mine singly for a week before giving it to an LFS.

I would get 2 or 3 females at minimum. They prefer a school of 6 or more, with a ration of 2-3 females per male. They will be much more active and less likely to pick at other fish if you have a large school. Also beware the cherry barbs may nip at the long flowing fins on your angel or the gourami. If you had a large school they stay busy nipping at each other and leave the other fish alone. However as a solitary fish, or in a small school they would be more likely to nip at their tank mates. Barbs are notoriously nippy, although cherry barbs aren't as bad as tiger barbs.

I agree. A group of 2-3 females with him and he will be happier. IMO a school of 6-8 with 2 males is perfect though. The males color up more when there is another male present and the 2 will "dance" which is fun to watch. And while they don't form a tight school they will hang out in the same general area of the tank

Back when i was seven, and had a cracked and beat up tank, my first fish was one cherry barb. He was the hardiest fellow ive ever kept, and i still have him. hes getting old now, but i love his activity. although i tried it again, ignorant, she died shortly after purchase :( i agree wit what the other posters have posted. that was just my expirience.

Back when i was seven, and had a cracked and beat up tank, my first fish was one cherry barb. He was the hardiest fellow ive ever kept, and i still have him. hes getting old now, but i love his activity. although i tried it again, ignorant, she died shortly after purchase :( i agree wit what the other posters have posted. that was just my expirience.

There are always exceptions. I had a goldfish in a 5 gallon tank from the time I was 13 till I graduated high school , I never changed the water, and he never grew and I finnaly put him in my aunts fish pond when I moved out.

Although there are exceptions, like the loss of the rest of the school, etc., I personally believe that fish that are described as doing best living in schools should, in fact, live in schools.

Although there are exceptions, like the loss of the rest of the school, etc., I personally believe that fish that are described as doing best living in schools should, in fact, live in schools.
agreed, we should always do the best we can to provide appropriate care for any animal that is kept in captivity.:)

Okay - here's the thing - many of the sources I have read have said that they should be kept in pairs - not necessairly schools. Why is the opinion here that Cherry Barbs should school (even though they don't even really school if in a school.......???)

Is there someone out there who has Cherry Barbs (not other barbs) who has experience with them?

Okay - here's the thing - many of the sources I have read have said that they should be kept in pairs - not necessairly schools. Why is the opinion here that Cherry Barbs should school (even though they don't even really school if in a school.......???)

Is there someone out there who has Cherry Barbs (not other barbs) who has experience with them?

As I stated before, a single cherry barb has the potential to nip the fins on your angel and gourami. In a school the stay busy with their own kind and leave the other fish alone. I just sold 8 cherry barbs back to the pet store

My opinion comes from having had them. Don't take the word "school" too literally. In this case, it simply means a group of the same species. It doesn't necessarily mean a tight school, which is what forms when a predator is nearby.

Whether or not a species schools, shoals, or simply shares a tank, some species do better in groups. In my very humble opinion, cherries are one of those species.

Oh... Okay - that is making more sense (Ashely & Lynda both). I called the Independent LFS where I got the barb, and the Females will be in on Tuesday now... Their fish guy had to take the day off tomorrow. So Tuesday I will feel comfortable adding 2 more cherry barbs by then making it 3. Then in another week, I'll add 2 more. I'm thinking 1 more male and 3 females total. And by tuesday I will also know if this Barb is working out with my tank.

Luckily, they will also take the jerk of a juvinile Chinese Algae Eater (that I haven't been able to find a home for yet) off of my hands too from my other tank! And trade other fish for him. (that should be the last of my sister n law's fish tank fish that I have to trade off/give away).

Back
Top Bottom