1 gal beta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashifflett89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I just got a 1 gal bowl tank for my beta and I was wondering if there are any filters I can buy to put on it. The 1 gal tank I got came with a led light so if I decide to put other fish in there instead of the beta, I will still need a filter to circulate oxygen and keep the tank clean longer.. Any ideas? I tried doing some research but couldn't find anything that looks like it would fit on a circular bowl/tank.

Better off just getting a aqueon desktop 2.5 or 5 gal that's come with the whole setup. Usually between 40-55 bucks and it comes with everything but a heater.

40-55$?? Where?? I've seen full set ups 10gal for 30$. For a Betta you could get everything including food for about 25$

I saw other set ups but i really wanted a bowl like tank. Luckily betas don't need a filter but I wanted to get one just to have. I love my new little fish tank, just wanted to know if they made a filter I can use. If not then pwc every week is what I'll have to do

CloudStrife said:
Better off just getting a aqueon desktop 2.5 or 5 gal that's come with the whole setup. Usually between 40-55 bucks and it comes with everything but a heater.

I second that. A bigger tank will actually be nicer for your betta, and to get a decent nano filter you'll spend the extra $$ anyway.

Ashifflett89 said:
I saw other set ups but i really wanted a bowl like tank. Luckily betas don't need a filter but I wanted to get one just to have. I love my new little fish tank, just wanted to know if they made a filter I can use. If not then pwc every week is what I'll have to do

Actually, with a 1 gallon, I would recommend PWCs every few days. Luckily with only a gallon it's easy. Just really watch over-feeding- that can build up ammonia fast.

I hve seen submersible filters (actually own one but mine has cord) and some are battery powere so you can actually hide them no cords. Filtration is always good even if it's a little. I wouldn't recommend these small battery powered ones except 1 Betta is not strong enough for other fish. They have cordless heaters too but maybe a under the tank Heater is better? Like a heating pad they are shaped like bowls.

1 gallon is pretty small for a betta. I will say that a filter is not really necessary, but they are nice to have. I would recommend the Red Sea Deco Art Nano for about $15 bucks online. I'll also say that a heater is REQUIRED for any Betta tank, unless it is kept in a room that stays around 78 degrees constantly. I've heard good things about the Deep Sea Betta Stik to keep you fish friend nice and cozy.

I will say that after you go under a 5g aquarium, you are probably going to get ripped off. You will almost always spend more money for a little "nano" tank than you will for a 10g. I've got 5g Betta tanks that cost me only $40, and 5g's are the optimum size for a solitary Betta IMO. They can certainly live in smaller ones, but the smaller the tank, the bigger of a pain it is to heat and filter.

Edit: I don't recommend the submersible heaters for such a small tank. All they do is make this small living space that much smaller. HOB's have near no impact on the swimming space of a tank, and that is why I love them.

corinne118s said:
40-55$?? Where?? I've seen full set ups 10gal for 30$. For a Betta you could get everything including food for about 25$

True but usually you don't wanna have a 10 gal tank on your kitchen or in your office. Plus ANYTHING bigger then a one gallon fish bowl is better. I had one Betta in a 20 gallon before.

Thank u! I will look up that filter and see if I can hook it up to mine. If not then I will have to do the water changes every few days, that's not big deal. As for a heater, my room doesn't get colder than 77 degrees. I have the tank on my dresser away from windows to avoid more algae growth and in west palm beach Florida its rare it gets cold lol I had a old beta I had for about 2 years and he was in a 1 gal bowl with a live plant. If getting a life plant for this 1 gal would be beneficial than I could do that again too instead of a filter?

True but usually you don't wanna have a 10 gal tank on your kitchen or in your office. Plus ANYTHING bigger then a one gallon fish bowl is better. I had one Betta in a 20 gallon before.

Agreed, even a cheap 2.5g standard would be a huge improvement for a single male Betta. I personally like the looks/size of 2.5g rectangular tanks, and it would be much easier to heat and filter. In a 1g, even the filter I mentioned may create too much current for the graceful Betta.

I think it would be beneficial to have a bigger tank. Yeah they can live in a one gal but would you wanna be an eagle stuck in a cage your whole life?

Ashifflett89 said:
I had a old beta I had for about 2 years and he was in a 1 gal bowl with a live plant. If getting a life plant for this 1 gal would be beneficial than I could do that again too instead of a filter?

Bettas live 4-6 yrs... Yours only living 2 yrs shows their lives are cut short being in such a small space.

The general concensous in a betta forum I've participated in is that 1.5g should be an absolute minimum for a betta, with a 2.5g being much better.

I've got a betta in a 1.5 g right now (while I'm fishless cycling a 10g to be his final home). It looks pretty darn small, and I just can't imagine anything smaller long term.

Now one way I have used 1.0g was when I used some plastic shoe boxes as quaranteen tanks for some female bettas before I put them together for a sorrority. The shoe box easily holds a gallon, and gives a pretty good area to swim around in (more than the 1.5g I've got right now because the 1.5g is more of a cube).

Live plants are always beneficial since they help with the biological filter. Tell you the truth, I had a Betta in an unheated and unfiltered 2.5g hex years ago. Ya know, the age when you dig plastic plants and clown puke gravel? He was constantly battling constipation, and he was always extremely lethargic. He lived for 6 years, but this is only because the temperature was so painfully low that his metabolism was at a snail's pace.

Now, I have the same tank heated and filtered, and my crowntail is happy as a lark. Everybody is going to have their opinion, but I think that a minimum of 2g heated and filtered is what a Betta should have.

A Betta could live in a cup of water indefinitely, but the poor thing would be miserable. However, these little gems of the aquarium hobby DESERVE more room.

Back
Top Bottom