1 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, 5 neons would be overstocking a 1 gallon. For that you could really only fit one small fish, and neons have to be kept in schools, so you wouldn't want to have even one neon in it. Have you considered looking at getting a betta? They're wonderful, fun fish and would be fine in a 1 gallon tank.

you actually found a one gallon tank? what is it a milk jug?

go out to any place that sells fish supplies, and get yourself a 10 gal tank for like $8

i know petsmart was selling them that cheap, but i think the sale might have ended the 25th

A betta would be fine. Its still a bit small, but almost anything is better than the cups they have to rot in.

You can also try a ghost shrimp or two with the betta, but that's dependant on your betta's personality.

Bettas like a stable temp around 80oF. It's going to be hard if not impossible to do that with a 1 gal. I have a betta in a 2-1/2 gal, and I admit THAT'S pushing it!

In a 1 gal, I'd stick to shrimp or snails. Here are some other threads about nano tanks. You could make a stunning 1 gal nano planted tank containing a few small shrimp if you can get the right lighting.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=62994&highlight=nano
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=66719&highlight=nano
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=68854&highlight=nano

I agree with QTOFFER - a one-gallon bowl is not a stable environment for a betta. Bettas really need a heater to keep the water temperature stable around 80 degrees. The temperature will fluctuate too much in such a bowl and the betta will most likely have some problems such as finrot. Overnight, the temp. could drop 3-4 degrees. That's not much for us, but to a betta, that is harmful.

I like the nano planted tank idea!

IMO i think keeping bettas is really really cruel in a small tank!!!! I would just get a 10 or 20 gal. its alot easyier to treat and do maitnence!!!!

I beg to differ on the "not moving alot" - mine are all over their tanks ....well, until I look at them then they are up front and center at the top wagging their tails like crazy begging for some food LOL

The reason they are kept in those small jars and tanks is because they'd don't NEED more space - they'll survive (the same way prisoners survive in solitary confinement in a teeny cell). They survive because they can breathe air - they can go to the top and take in a gulp of air, so old dirty water doesn't inhibit their ability to survive - until the ammonia and nitrites catch up with them.

Bettas are curiously little fish. Since I've given them some live plants (java fern and java moss) they have become even more active and are obviously happier since they now all blow bubbles for me (two I can't quite call "nests" - those guys haven't gotten the hang of placing their bubbles next to each other yet LOL).

when I rescued a beta from my friend in college (before having my guppys) it used to cruise around in my 20 planted tank - he was probably one of the happiest Petco betas ever. I think people assume betas just sit there and do nothing, but then most people don't see betas in enough water to DO anything besides sit in one place and simply survive. I am contemplating giving away my guppys and putting a beta back in my tank...

hc8719 said:
what is the deal with betta's, they dont move alot, so people put them in jars?

It really doesn'y have anything to do with mobility. Because their natural habitat is shallow stagnant pools, and because they can breath air, many people assume that bettas will do fine in any small container - without a heater or filtration.

In reality, those pools may be interconnected and form a system several miles in length. Their native climate is tropical assuring a warm water temp. Heavy rainfall constantly replenishes and cleans those stagnant pools.

Bettas are probably the most poorly treated FW fish...along with goldfish.

I now have a 5 gallon planted (low light) tank used for spixi snails growing a bit bigger. I'd like to put a betta in this tank, but I don't want to encourage the "cups-type" sellers. (though I'd love to save one of those poor critters.) Even our otherwise good LFS has them in nasty little bowls.

I know they gots 'em on AquaBid, but shipping is such an expense. Is that my only option to add a betta?

There are some sold on eBay also and there are also breeders out there, but those breeder varieties are pretty expensive.

I agree 100% with Joannde and QTOFFER. My betta moves a lot(I think between this and the bubble nest it is happy) A 10 gal tank is very cheap and you would be much better off. 5 neons would be ok in a 10 gal. and the betta should have a tropical temp. You can get 10 gal, filter, heater, substrate, food, and test kits for around $55-$60, maybe less.

If you are new to fish, neons can be hard to keep for a beginner in IMO. There are a lot of fish you can keep in a 10 gal. The betta would also be a good choice for a complete beginner and you would get the feel for water quality, temp, fish care....with a little help from AA. I learn more and encounter new things all the time.

Just remember to research any fish before you buy. If not here, google it. I have made many mistakes buying fish I loved without researching the temperament and size when I was new.

Back
Top Bottom