1 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
My brother has this tank PETCO 1 Gallon Corner Aquarium Kit at PETCO He has bought additional gravel and a small seahorse decoration. He had a male betta but it died 2 weeks after buying it of overfeeding and ich. He wants another fish to put in it. I know the choices are extremely limited if not unavailable. I change the water every other day and take care of everything in it such as water conditioner, illness, water changes etc. So is there anything to put in the tank. Not just survive but actually be happy in the tank. I've told him there probably won't be anything and he's ok with not putting anything in it.... that's what he said before we got the betta! So he's content for now but when we go to the fish store and he sees the fish he's gonna want one. He doesn't care what kind he just wants something lol! Anything at all that can happily live in this tank?

1 gallon is pretty small, but...you could try another betta, or some ghost shrimp (up to 5; they are really inexpensive), a male guppy (only one), or a dwarf frog (be sure it is dwarf!) (only one).

He must be careful not to overfeed whatever you/he chooses. This will kill anyfish as 1 gallon tank is very difficult to manage the water quality. Usually the filters for a 1 gallon tank are not very powerful and so you will have to be extra careful to not overfeed and keep the water clean.

Sorry, a one gallon tank is too small. Even too small for a Betta. A Betta needs at least a 3-5 gallon heated and filtered tank to be truly happy.

Ghost Shrimp are very tiny, but the tank your brother has won't work for them either. They are bottom dwellers and that tank is tall, and barely as any room them at the bottom!

Guppies aren't a good choice. They need to be in a group of at least 3. One may work but won't be happy.

Don't forget to always cycle a tank, check the water parameters, and not to overfeed. Fish should always go a day each week without food to digest properly.

I assume the Betta died from too high Ammonia levels, which will be caused from too much food and not cycling.

Let your brother read these answers and if he still wants to get a fish at the pet store just tell him that they wouldn't really be happy, and you shouldn't buy a fish just because you want one. Ask him if he really wants to get the fish to make himself happy, when the actual animal wouldn't?

If he really wants fish, he is going to need a bigger tank, sorry.

Reactions: HN1
But as he said...he is gonna put something in it regardless. There is always the most ideal situation. But if he will insist on something, those were the only possible suggestion to be considered, although not ideal.

I am also assuming from the description of what happened that your brother is pretty young. Is there any chance that you guys could look for an aquarium at garage sales or from someone not using theirs anymore? That way, you can have a better chance to keep a nice happy place for different kinds of fish. A 10 gallon tank would be a nice size to start learning about how to keep fish.

Thanks! What about snails? I tried to tell my brother the betta can't permanently happily live in there but he's 8 and doesn't know muc about fish. And the betta didn't die of ammonia it dies of ich and overfeeding. Apparently somehow .81 grams of fish food "mysteriously made it's way in the tank" When I was going to do the water change it was dead with ick and there was also a whole container of fish food floating at the top. Apparently he must have thought the fish was dieing of hunger or something and fed it food lol! Thanks for your answer and for saying specifically why each fish can't live instead lf just saying no they'll all die. Do snails require a heater/filter/bigger or different shaped tank? Or is there another reason they can't live in the tank? Or can they be happy in the tank? And yes I attempted to cycle the tank but my brother got impatient and dumped the betta inHoSkins the tank support live plants? Maybe sea monkeys? Thanks! We went to petco to test the water ammonia was fine. So do snails require a heater?
Sorry, a one gallon tank is too small. Even too small for a Betta. A Betta needs at least a 3-5 gallon heated and filtered tank to be truly happy.

Ghost Shrimp are very tiny, but the tank your brother has won't work for them either. They are bottom dwellers and that tank is tall, and barely as any room them at the bottom!

Guppies aren't a good choice. They need to be in a group of at least 3. One may work but won't be happy.

Don't forget to always cycle a tank, check the water parameters, and not to overfeed. Fish should always go a day each week without food to digest properly.

I assume the Betta died from too high Ammonia levels, which will be caused from too much food and not cycling.

Let your brother read these answers and if he still wants to get a fish at the pet store just tell him that they wouldn't really be happy, and you shouldn't buy a fish just because you want one. Ask him if he really wants to get the fish to make himself happy, when the actual animal wouldn't?

If he really wants fish, he is going to need a bigger tank, sorry.

Invade you guys are wondering my brothers 8 so he doesn't know much about fish. Would snails work? And maybe put live plants to absorb ammonia?

Invade you guys are wondering my brothers 8 so he doesn't know much about fish. Would snails work? And maybe put live plants to absorb ammonia?

Snails don't need a heater, but they do need more space than 1 gallon, which is why I did not suggest it. Having a live plant will be nice for taking up nitrates. Ammonia has to be converted into nitrates by the helpful bacteria that grow in a cycled tank.

Basically, poop and pee make ammonia, which is toxic. This gets converted (ionized) and used by one type of helpful bacteria which convert it to nitrites (also very toxic to fish, shrimp and frogs)...then a second bacteria converts this further into nitrates. Nitrates are less toxic to fish, but can be at high levels. You can dilute the nitrates by doing water changes and having live plants, because they use the nitrates to grow.

If you will insist on putting something in the 1 gallon, your brother will need to understand that feeding all of the food to the tank will just kill the fish/shrimp/frog. Excess food just breaks down and becomes ammonia..and is toxic.

Even though he is young, this may be a great chance for him to learn some cool science stuff and understand how to keep a really cool aquarium. When you go to the fish store next time, be sure they test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Getting a plant will be nice for whatever you decide to put in the tank.

Personally, I dont think they should even sell 1 gallon tanks as nothing will truly be happy in something that size. But they do it for kids. So, use this to teach your brother about fishkeeping until you can get a bigger tank :)

Snails could work, I suggest a Zebra Nerite snail as they are small. You can put in one or two.

Again, a tank with larger bottom space is better, but isn't as crucial for snails as they also climb about the walls.

Keep in mind that snails create a lot of waste, so be sure to clean the tank often.

Even snails need a cycled tank, so just explain to your little brother that the fish will be very happy and live longer if things are done right.

Live plants will help to reduce ammonia levels a little bit, and nitrate levels. They are quite a lot more work than fake plants, as they require special lighting and substrate. If you feel ready for the extra work, then yes a live plant would be perfectly fine.
Another option is to get a small bamboo stalk. They are the easiest to care for, in my opinion. I have one in my 20 gallon tank and I have used gravel and sand as a substrate, both worked fine. I don't have special lighting, just incandescent.
Be sure to keep the top leaves of the plant out of water, or it will start to rot. Mine survived a couple months completely submerged, but unless you want to keep buying a new plant, be sure to keep the top out of water.

'Most' snails are tropical, and need temperatures around 75˚-78˚F. So, yes you will need a heater. If you don't want one, then there are some snail species that can live in goldfish ponds, which are cold water fish, but can't think of the name of the top of my head.

Yes they will need a filter, as mentioned above they are quite messy.

Good luck! Hope I could help :)

Don't forget to watch out for your brother and make sure he doesn't dump in a can of fish food again.

P.S Another idea which is the best would be to hold off on fish for now until you can get a 4 or 5 gallon tank, which will open up more options, such as African Dwarf Frogs, or another Betta.
A 10g would be good for a nice tropical community set up, but may be a bit much to handle.

So my brother should or shouldn't get snails? So far I've talked him into not getting anything but once he goes to petco he will see all the fish and want something. I think he will settle for live plants but if he won't what would you recommend? Snails or something else? Why can't snails live In a 1 gallon tank? I know your right but why I'm curious not trying to questio you or anything.

Snails don't need a heater, but they do need more space than 1 gallon, which is why I did not suggest it. Having a live plant will be nice for taking up nitrates. Ammonia has to be converted into nitrates by the helpful bacteria that grow in a cycled tank.

Basically, poop and pee make ammonia, which is toxic. This gets converted (ionized) and used by one type of helpful bacteria which convert it to nitrites (also very toxic to fish, shrimp and frogs)...then a second bacteria converts this further into nitrates. Nitrates are less toxic to fish, but can be at high levels. You can dilute the nitrates by doing water changes and having live plants, because they use the nitrates to grow.

If you will insist on putting something in the 1 gallon, your brother will need to understand that feeding all of the food to the tank will just kill the fish/shrimp/frog. Excess food just breaks down and becomes ammonia..and is toxic.

Even though he is young, this may be a great chance for him to learn some cool science stuff and understand how to keep a really cool aquarium. When you go to the fish store next time, be sure they test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Getting a plant will be nice for whatever you decide to put in the tank.

Personally, I dont think they should even sell 1 gallon tanks as nothing will truly be happy in something that size. But they do it for kids. So, use this to teach your brother about fishkeeping until you can get a bigger tank :)

Ok so I just thought of sea monkeys for him! Would these work? Or would snails be better?

I don't understand when you said
And yes I attempted to cycle the tank but my brother got impatient and dumped the betta in
He's 8. He can't drive, someone had to have let him get the fish. Next time, don't let him.

EDIT: Yeah, Sea Monkeys, also known as Brine Shrimp should be fine. They don't need much, not even a filter. They are often used as fish food, and I've never seen live ones in a pet store, only frozen.

If you can find em' I don't see why not...

So my brother should or shouldn't get snails? So far I've talked him into not getting anything but once he goes to petco he will see all the fish and want something. I think he will settle for live plants but if he won't what would you recommend? Snails or something else? Why can't snails live In a 1 gallon tank? I know your right but why I'm curious not trying to questio you or anything.

Sorry for the confusion...There are alot of different snails. I breed mystery snails. These are snails that you commonly find at petco. I have not seen nerite snails available at my local petsmart or petco, so I can't say that they would be a real option for you.

As for mystery snails. They need more space than 1 gallon. I keep mine at around 2 gallons per snail. I do not heat the tanks as the ambient temp in my apartment resides somewhere around 74-78 year without the air conditioner.

I do not recommend mystery snails or apple snails. They get far too big and are very messy. Too messy for a 1 gallon for sure.

You can however get free pond and malaysian trumpet snails from petco. Just ask them for some free snails, and they will give you some in a bag. These snails are not difficult to care for and will be good with your live plant.

I suggest getting a live plant, ask for some free snails (just a couple) and get a 2-3 ghost shrimp.

Only get the shrimp if your water ammonia and nitrites are at zero. If that looks good, you will have a nice little tank set up for a couple shrimp and a nice live plant.

As for the plant, I assume that you have the light that came with the 1 gallon. In which case, this is really low light. You will need to get an anubias or a crypt plant. These do okay in low light. Don't buy any plants that require alot of light.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom