1 gallon tank what to put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ruby055 said:
I have edited my post a bit but disagree with you. Certain species of Goldfish will be fine for several years as their growth rate will be controlled by their enclosure size, they will not grow its called biological environmental suppression and does little to destroy the fishes quality of life. You will eventually have to find them new homes. The Bettas I have collected in the wild I have found living in handfuls of water in rice patties with water volume not larger than your fist, so I am not buying the common belief that they need more space. It was not until the advent of groups like PETA, that applied the concepts of mammalian happiness that anyone in the scientific community ever felt that any labyrinth fishes ever needed any more space than a few gallons. Paradise fish which actually started the entire idea of keeping fish in the 19th century were kept in small encloses where they actually breed during passage for ornamental trade on ships.

I still disagree with you. the thing I and other say are our opinions and generally based on experience. I'm currently trying to keep my 29 g tank with 2 fancies in it alive. due to ammonia problem associated with gold fish.. my sister had 4 Commons in a 55g that is over stocked .. as for the bettas I know there environment in the wild. captivity is different, there are different needs... if we treated them "pretending" that they are in the wild, we would feed them or do water changes .. that's poor thinking in my opinion... and in my experience o have tried to keep bettas in 1g, 5g, 10g, solo tanks and a 60g community tank.. the 1g is not manageable, parameters are hard to control.... 10g worked the best and i believe most people who keep bettas would agree.

you are entitled to your opinion, just like the rest of us... but I suggest you do some serious research and check your poor tanks parameters

Shrimp would be a wonderful idea for the tank. There would be so many to choose from! Plus you could have a bunch in there:)
You could have:
RCS, blue pearl, mandarin, snowball, ghost, yellow, green, tiger, and if you were very careful CRS or bee shrimp.
Those all would be wonderful things to put in the tank! They're so fun. Plus they don't need a heater!

Shrimp would be a wonderful idea for the tank. There would be so many to choose from! Plus you could have a bunch in there:)
You could have:
RCS, blue pearl, mandarin, snowball, ghost, yellow, green, tiger, and if you were very careful CRS or bee shrimp.
Those all would be wonderful things to put in the tank! They're so fun. Plus they don't need a heater!

Don't forget cardinal shrimp!

Yes Tetra’s and Danio’s in a 5 gallon tank, not a 1 gal. I mentioned only a one fish in that scenario, we are not talking about a school of fish, we are talking about 4 fish and a system that works, the Danio’s do not bother the Tetra’s as they never leave the top of the tank. The idea of needing a small group is a myth created by pet store owners, simply to sell more fish, as my family owned an aquarium store for 30 years. In the wild they swim in a schools to make themselves appear larger to potential predators not for socialization, fish with a CNS connected to a brain the size of an atom, are not social creatures. 2 of them in a small tank is fine. Also if anyone wants to follow the instructions I have lest in this blog, I guarantee the results, no work, but the set up for the 5 gal, tank is 3 to 6 months.

NO!!! I am sorry, but this is 100% incorrect. Zebra Danios and the tetras MUST have schools of at least 6 fish. The Danios need at least a 20g long aquarium and the tetras need a 10g minimum. These fish are social, it is an instinct no matter how small their brain is. If they can live in extremely small groups of only 2 individuals, then why is it these fish stress out when kept in these conditions. I have seen fish kept only 2 or 3 fish when they need a school and it is horrible. The poor fish don't know what to do. If they are only doing this schooling behavior to look larger, why don't they completely break up the school when they aren't running from a predator? These fish must live in schools as they are highly social animals that thrive on living in groups.

Original poster, please do not put any fish in this small tank. I will admit I kept a Betta in a small 1g, however this fish was lethargic and stressed out from being in such a small tank. Though Bettas hail from rice paddies that are only 6" thick or less, the paddies are hundreds of yards long/wide. Please just make it a well planted tank with some shrimp. There are many shrimp out there that are simply beautiful on their own.

Look at it this way as an aquariust: You want the fish to thrive rather than simply survive.

I don't disagree that a bigger tank and a school of 4 to 6 is better, but if you only have space for 1 gal or 5 gal tank, this will work. These fish will live adapt and thrive, I have 4 fish and one snail going on year nearly 2.5 years in this format. Nearly > the anticipated life span of each species of fish. We need not describe the optimum conditions in every response for advise, optimum conditions are a factor, of time, space, commitment and $$. I am simply providing some insight for a beginner to have a fish in a small space. He did not ask to have a plant only tank. He asked can I have a 1 gal tank and while I said I do not recommend it, I said 5 gals is better. I mentioned planting the tank as this will dispel some of the aggressive traits of the Danio’s, also they are less aggressive in a group of 2 and while they are very active the surface area of a low wall 5 gallon tank is enough for such and active pair. I have also included them as they are very hearty breed that will eat most anything especially the common over feedings by beginners which accounts for 50% of fish death from degradation of water quality , just what I have seen in 30 of prior pet shop ownership.

Also, while the rice paddy are grown in areas that are flooded much like cranberries are, the monsoon rains destroy the man made levies and I have collected the fish in pools that are miles away form the main water source, they actually hop form puddle to puddle.

Unfortunately, nothing much, but perhaps 1 smallish goldfish, but only for a short period of time, if you know what you are doing you might get buy. However, they are generally very messy eaters and thus make poor H20 quality fast, Most all species of these fish will grow far too big for a 1 gal tank but some will grow so slowly that it might not be an issue for some time. However, with only a gallon, I do not recommend them. In a 1 gal situation a male fighting fish may work or any of the small Labyrinth fishes. These are fish from southeast Asian region that generally live at times in mud puddles during the monsoon periods of flooding and are thus happy in small spaces, because they breath air, H20 quality can be slightly marginalized but never neglected. If the tank is <11 inches high a male beta or Paradise fish (which can be absolutely beautiful), Cherry Red Shimp can work quite well if you can find them and even 1 small crayfish may be suitable, although you will have to clean up after it alot, and will have to feed live food, lots of work, too much, so why not upgrade to a small 5 gal tank and follow my instructions below.

As long as the Bio load is not compromised this is smallest tank you can have. It's small size should no be an issue for someone who knows what they are doing, I have an unheated 5 gallon tank in my kitchen, that contains 2 Zebra Danios and 2 Cardinal Tetras and 1 Cory Cat and all have been alive and well for 3 years, the rule of 1 inch of fish body per gallon of water works, but you have to play by the rules of nature.

This tank ran for 6 months 1st with only snails and a small amount of biological starter. Once the filer floss is dark green and covered with biological matter that looks like algae, do not change it, worship the **** out of that because its more powerful than any new canister, uv, reverse osmosis crap that anyone will sell you, in fresh water conditions its all about aeration and water movement.

When the water smells like rainwater on dirt in Spring you can stock the tank to the levels I describe above. I never change the water only top it off with matched water of similar temp and chemistry as it evaporates about 1x per month. The filter floss material is seldom changed but the carbon is about every month or two. I feed 1x per week only! Agitate the substrate 1x per week and use a power filter designed for a tank 2 or 3 times bigger to have maximum water filtration the overturns the tank volumes between 3x and 5 x and hour. A small power head on the other side of the tank form the filter at the bottom will create a circular current which you need in any tank and especially a salt tank. Also, keep the lights off ! No more than 2 or 3 hours a day otherwise you will turn your water green, also if you do have a light make sure you are not using an incandescent bulb as may 5 gallon tanks come with or offer this kind of lighting and that kind light source will only over heat the water, screw up the H20 chemistry and fry your fish, replace the incandescent with compact fluorescents that produce similar Lumens’ at about ¼ of the wattage .

You want to keep your small freshwater tank as cool as you can, this is a good rule for any species to keep metabolic rates high, this also coincides with weekly feedings. Also, when stocking try and pick small fish that swim in different levels of the tank, for a 5 gallon tank the fish should have an adult body from head and tail of no more than 1 inch.

Substrate can be off the shelf bleached sand or crushed stone med or fine aggregate, sorry generally plants can only be plastic in this scenario. If you are more advanced there are 2 or 3 species of common potted hydro folia that can work but you will need to build a more robust lighting cover with 2 macro fluorescent tubes and will thus have to pay more attention to water quality If a beginner is patient enough, this can work out fine. Best of luck!
sorry not trying to be rude but im fairly new and i know goldfish need lots of room even a normal supposed goldfish bowl is cruel really as goldfish should live longer if well cared for

Well, sorry, but the way I view it is we are in the hobby for the better of the fish. As such we should either provide the optimum conditions for our fish or not keep them at all.

And back on the topic of what can go in a 1g... lets drop the goldfish thing, it's getting old. Opinions have been spoken. Any further opinions need to be discussed elsewhere.

After looking at wikipedia, it does say two or more in a group. With that in mind, one gallon is probably not enough.

Darn it...Now I want a five gallon with a couple little frogs in it!!!!

How about a dozen roses? As a vase? Seriously, they should not even make those gallon tanks. Smh..

for me i would heavily plant it and then put either shrimp or snails in it.

Back
Top Bottom