1 gallon tank what to put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I'm just scouring the web for anything at all that could go in there, and there's nothing as far as fish are concerned. Even Least Killifish, which are the smallest fish I could find, need 5 gallons. Is this tank something new, with packaging and stuff? Maybe you could exchange it!!!

OMG wikedpedia? I am telling you I have been doing this for 30 years. I have a graduate degree in Marine Science from Woods Hole and I am not talking about keeping, Oscars Grouper and or a Shark, I am telling you all it is possible for a beginner to keep 4 smallish fish and a snail in a 5 gallon tank with out requiring your fish to seek at psychological help for lack of space. Humans in NYC live in 200 square foot apartments for their entire lives and eventually adapt. They are not less happy because they don’t have a bigger house with an acre of land in the country. Neither are your fish. Just as an FYI the Danio’s are going to be farm raised from a tank in which all there ancestors have lived for the past 10,000 generations in the most over crowded conditions ever. So please lets not quote the standards for fish that have been taken form the wild. These are captivity bread species now. There behaviors are different from what Dr Axelrod quoted to all the people who have written about this for the last 50 years.

My water quality is perfect in an established tank. I don’t recommend 5 gals but it can be done and if you read what I write and look up the science behind what i am saying you will get results.

It is a generally accepted fact on this forum that really nothing belongs in a 1g tank other than inverts. That is what the OP was asking about so now they have their question answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you could make it a really nice planted shrimp tank! I would get some RCS or bumblebee shrimp and a snail :) Unfortunately your options are pretty limited with that size tank :(

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the dimensions of the tank? You might be able to have fish in there if it's a long tank. If not I would suggest sticking with shrimp. They have small bioloads, are fun to watch, and are easy to care for.

What are the dimensions of the tank? You might be able to have fish in there if it's a long tank. If not I would suggest sticking with shrimp. They have small bioloads, are fun to watch, and are easy to care for.

I'm with maxwellag, a longer tank is much better than a taller tank.

It's wierd how everyone is saying what I can't put in it when I asked what I should put in it

Fishman94 said:
It's wierd how everyone is saying what I can't put in it when I asked what I should put in it

Actually, almost everyone has said or agreed with the fact that you can add shrimp and snails. That is literally the only thing you can add.

We were just making sure you didn't listen to bad advice. We don't want you to have a bad experience. :)

I agree a betta in a gallon tank would be just boring.

you'd be better off just getting a bigger tank.
Unless you want snails and shrimp which are actually cool to watch IMO :)

Wow didn't this thread get off track.

To the OP, I still support my suggestion of red cherry shrimp.
We started with 4 adults, we now have tons of babies after roughly 2 weeks. :) My kids and I love to watch them and they're surprisingly very active and humerous.

Sad thing about small tanks is there are more things you can't put in than things you can put in. If you want to provide optimum conditions for the inhabitants of this tank, you really need to leave fish out. There are tons of different shrimp that could happily live in there. Just do a search for aquarium shrimp and you will be surprised the different varieties. Look at you LFS and check with people on here for shrimp. (y)

I got rcs because they were cheap, but I have not been let down at all. They are fun, colorful and active. I think the bee shrimp or tiger shrimp are really pretty though.

i have my 55 g with corys guppies danios rcs and snails...shrimps are faily entertainign to watch especailly with plants

Back
Top Bottom