1 inch per gallon? Bullcrap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1" per gallon only goes for some fish not all.but a one gallon seems crappy..........like seriously im 13 and i have a 55 gallon in my room

As far as I know, inch per gallon is a bad rule for all fish, not just a select few.

Well it might work for example in a 20 gallon, you wouldn't have too many fish if you had 20 tetras or something.

Well it might work for example in a 20 gallon, you wouldn't have too many fish if you had 20 tetras or something.

Just for the record it depends on the tetra - but my main point was that it's still not a good rule to follow. There are much better ways to determine stocking than inch/gallon.

Thats true. I'm just saying that although you shouldn't go by that "rule" because most of the time it doesn't work, there are some circumstances where having the same number of inches of fish as the number of gallons in your tank would not be a problem.

Thats true. I'm just saying that although you shouldn't go by that "rule" because most of the time it doesn't work, there are some circumstances where having the same number of inches of fish as the number of gallons in your tank would not be a problem.

That is correct - however as stated earlier it's best to just pretend you have never heard that "rule." :)

That is correct - however as stated earlier it's best to just pretend you have never heard that "rule." :)

It's a rule for beginners like the kid who started the thread bragging about how he broke the rule and acted liken2 1/2 weeks was awesome in was prevented to help lower the chance of killing fish.

Everyone should follow the fishes minimum tank requirements. But once you learn about fish and their behavior and can tell when they are stressed then you Can move passed they barrier.

It's a rule for beginners like the kid who started the thread bragging about how he broke the rule and acted liken2 1/2 weeks was awesome in was prevented to help lower the chance of killing fish.

Everyone should follow the fishes minimum tank requirements. But once you learn about fish and their behavior and can tell when they are stressed then you Can move passed they barrier.

While it's better than a bowl, still the rule should not be used by beginners - even beginners can use something as easy as aqadvisor :)

Well since this thread wins the award for the worst thread in weeks and evidently won't die, so lets keep it going! I'm using the one inch per gallon rule, so by my high school level math skills this tank could use some more fish!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
His parents probably can't afford it your lucky I'm 21 and only have a 20 a 26

Someone would sell a 50 gallon with their filter and equipment for prolly 50 bucks on Craigslist. People practically give that crap away a lot of the time

First, I agree that the OP is just a kid. As adults (most of us) in general, we should encourage and develop him regardless of the subject matter. It seems he may have been trying to bring a bit of levity to his errors, errors many of us have made.

To the OP, look at the measurements of the 20 gallon tall versus the 10 gallon. The surface area required isn't that much larger. I bought my son a 10 gallon kit and immediately wished I had gone with a 20 tall. You'd be surprised-the 20g doesn't "look" twice the size of a 10.

I do not condone that you argue with your mom, certainly not based on the input of strangers. She certainly deserves more respect from you than I do. However, if its open for discussion it might be worth showing her the dimensions and asking the question. Either way, don't forget to thank her for whatever you get (no, I'm not an old man... Just think its important for folks young and old to show gratitude).

I agree that the 1"/gallon rule is pretty weak, but there are a few things I would recommend you do.
1. Remember, most livebearers have a larger bio load than other comparably sized fish, so I would say you should have fewer livebearers per gallon than the 1"/ gallon rule suggests.
2. Many make mistakes with goldfish. They start small, but get huge. No fish should be in an unfiltered tank. I tried a 2 gallon bowl with a betta, it's just not right. Too difficult to maintain quality water.
3. If you don't know what it is yet, look up "nitrogen cycle" online. This is important info and will save you a lot of frustration.
4. Livebearers like company, but aren't schoolers. A trio of 1 male and 2 females will work. If you like livebearers, check out swordtails! Large, but cool. Not recommended for a 10g.
5. Schooling fish like tetras should have at least 5 to 7 for them to be happy. Tetras are schoolers. Danios are "loose" schoolers, but I think they would be considered schooling fish. Danios are generally good cycling fish - super hearty.
6. If you end up with a 10g, that's still a pretty nice way to get going. Once your cycled, there are some interesting fish you can stock. Check out endlers livebearers. They are very small guppies, but really cool little fish.
7. Check out glow fish setups, too. They're pretty cool, and there are several tetras and danios that would look good under the blacklight.

Good luck. Never be afraid to test or express you opinions here or anywhere else, but always be prepared to support them with success stories. Your opening didn't really demonstrate much success :(. Just being honest with ya.

First, I agree that the OP is just a kid. As adults (most of us) in general, we should encourage and develop him regardless of the subject matter. It seems he may have been trying to bring a bit of levity to his errors, errors many of us have made.

To the OP, look at the measurements of the 20 gallon tall versus the 10 gallon. The surface area required isn't that much larger. I bought my son a 10 gallon kit and immediately wished I had gone with a 20 tall. You'd be surprised-the 20g doesn't "look" twice the size of a 10.

I do not condone that you argue with your mom, certainly not based on the input of strangers. She certainly deserves more respect from you than I do. However, if its open for discussion it might be worth showing her the dimensions and asking the question. Either way, don't forget to thank her for whatever you get (no, I'm not an old man... Just think its important for folks young and old to show gratitude).

I agree that the 1"/gallon rule is pretty weak, but there are a few things I would recommend you do.
1. Remember, most livebearers have a larger bio load than other comparably sized fish, so I would say you should have fewer livebearers per gallon than the 1"/ gallon rule suggests.
2. Many make mistakes with goldfish. They start small, but get huge. No fish should be in an unfiltered tank. I tried a 2 gallon bowl with a betta, it's just not right. Too difficult to maintain quality water.
3. If you don't know what it is yet, look up "nitrogen cycle" online. This is important info and will save you a lot of frustration.
4. Livebearers like company, but aren't schoolers. A trio of 1 male and 2 females will work. If you like livebearers, check out swordtails! Large, but cool. Not recommended for a 10g.
5. Schooling fish like tetras should have at least 5 to 7 for them to be happy. Tetras are schoolers. Danios are "loose" schoolers, but I think they would be considered schooling fish. Danios are generally good cycling fish - super hearty.
6. If you end up with a 10g, that's still a pretty nice way to get going. Once your cycled, there are some interesting fish you can stock. Check out endlers livebearers. They are very small guppies, but really cool little fish.
7. Check out glow fish setups, too. They're pretty cool, and there are several tetras and danios that would look good under the blacklight.

Good luck. Never be afraid to test or express you opinions here or anywhere else, but always be prepared to support them with success stories. Your opening didn't really demonstrate much success :(. Just being honest with ya.

Well put you are certainly good with words.
Absolutely don't do anything to stress mom out, I would how ever go on Craigslist start looking for someone who is tired of keeping an aquarium. Wait for a killer deal and thing maybe ask mom if you could do some chores around the house to make a few bucks to purchase this stuff. Just my two cents good luck.

Well put you are certainly good with words.
Absolutely don't do anything to stress mom out, I would how ever go on Craigslist start looking for someone who is tired of keeping an aquarium. Wait for a killer deal and thing maybe ask mom if you could do some chores around the house to make a few bucks to purchase this stuff. Just my two cents good luck.

Now I'm really gonna sound old! Craigslist is great, but be careful! My sister-in-law found her house for sale there a few years ago. No, her house wasn't for sale, and she didn't know the "seller." If you find something there, make sure your folks close the deal and meet at a public place to pick up the stuff if possible.

Jeesh, I sound like a grandad! I promise, I'm only 38!

Now I'm really gonna sound old! Craigslist is great, but be careful! My sister-in-law found her house for sale there a few years ago. No, her house wasn't for sale, and she didn't know the "seller." If you find something there, make sure your folks close the deal and meet at a public place to pick up the stuff if possible.

Jeesh, I sound like a grandad! I promise, I'm only 38!

Haha no worries I'm only 24 but feel 44 a lot of the time. Someone has a lot less to gain from selling something for $50 or less than say $100,000 or more. I do hear what your saying, be careful and don't ever meet up with anyone from there without an adult. If you do go the Craigslist route that is. You could always browse the classifieds here or wait for a dollar per gallon sale at petco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom