1 inch per gallon? Bullcrap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaNomad196

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a goldfish last 2 and 1/2 weeks in a 1 gallon NO filter or ANYTHING but food. And right now I have a platy in a 1 gallon PERFECTLY thriving. But his buddy died recently. But the platy has a filter and 2 plants and gravel. The goldfish had nothing. Well except another goldfish that died in 3 or 4 days.

So can someone explain to me why I should believe "1 inch per gallon"

P.S. my platy is fully grown.:banghead:

Well gold fish are extremely hardy, and can live through a lot. The 1" per gallon rule is completely wrong. What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want a 1 gallon tank?

I heard goldfish die easily. But what I'm trying to accomplish is letting people know they can add a little more. I don't want people thinking, hey I can only add
a little guppy in 3 gallons. And I already have a 1 gallon, soon to upgrade to a 5 gallon.

I had a goldfish last 2 and 1/2 weeks in a 1 gallon NO filter or ANYTHING but food. And right now I have a platy in a 1 gallon PERFECTLY thriving. But his buddy died recently. But the platy has a filter and 2 plants and gravel. The goldfish had nothing. Well except another goldfish that died in 3 or 4 days.

So can someone explain to me why I should believe "1 inch per gallon"

P.S. my platy is fully grown.:banghead:

Because the water becomes toxic and how would you like living in a 10sq foot room fish are animals. They can be stressed out and die. Your raging and sounding well .......

The bioload is the biggest factor the ammonia will poison your fish I had 2 platys in my 1.77 gallon and 1 died the other lost its color.

And that was with water changes every 3 days and 2 filters running.

It's not the law or anything, just a loose guideline. Different fish have different bio loads and activity levels.
For example, a 2" platy poops more than a 2" tetra.
And a 2" tetra needs more room to swim around than a 2" pleco.

So, the "inch per gallon" isn't carved in stone, its just there to help new hobbyists until they learn more about the fish they're keeping.

In a side note: you're not likely to make many friends on this forum when you brag about keeping fish in poor conditions.

Let me explain.

No I'm not a troll by the way whoever posted that pic. I didn't know ANYTHING about goldfish when I gave them a 1 gallon. I just got them from a carnival and thought that'd be good enough. The platy looked small and I was still learning. Now I know more and I will not try to overcrowd or abuse fish again. I repeat, all the abuse was UNINTENTIONAL and I love fish and I love pets. So sorry to all who thought I'm an animal killer.:( I'm only 13, and I wasn't expecting fish to be hard to take care of.

@Coyne, I didn't mean to abuse the fish.
@Hukit, I'm no troll, I'm trying to say this rule is false.
@patrickriley10, I'm upgrading soon and it's just a temporary thing for a really short time.

Can't upgrade much.

My mom said I don't have room. I am getting a 5, and a 10% chance of fitting in a 10 gal. So I can't do much :(

I suggest you rehome the gold fish... a nice pond may be a good idea!

No I'm not a troll by the way whoever posted that pic. I didn't know ANYTHING about goldfish when I gave them a 1 gallon. I just got them from a carnival and thought that'd be good enough. The platy looked small and I was still learning. Now I know more and I will not try to overcrowd or abuse fish again. I repeat, all the abuse was UNINTENTIONAL and I love fish and I love pets. So sorry to all who thought I'm an animal killer.:( I'm only 13, and I wasn't expecting fish to be hard to take care of.

So you got another fish and put it in a 1 gallon tank I bet your using water right out of the sink too.

Also a gold fish living 2-3 weeks isn't good they can live 20-30 years

So I have come to the conclusion that OP thinks he can actually have more than 1" of fish per gallon of water. What led you to this belief might I ask? Was it the fact that you managed to keep a goldfish alive for 2 whole weeks?

I suggest you do some research rather than making some declaration that decades of aquarium research on tank size is suddenly wrong thanks to you sticking a goldfish in a glass.

It's ok to be new to something and to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.... But maybe it would be best if you refrain from giving out advice until you have a better grasp of what you're talking about. There are too many people who post here looking for good information, and it can difficult to tell who does and doesn't know what they are talking about when you're new to the hobby.

Let me rephrase this.

What I mean is, yeah 1 gal is too small for goldfish. I meant I have a very healthy platy, 1 month old, and he is doing GREAT. I am just saying, don't get a 10 gallon or something for 1 platy or 2. You could get like 6 if you had the proper requirements. Just forget the other fish, those were honest mistakes on my part. The platy though, enjoys his tank, responds when I talk by swimming up at my face, and swims in circles and chases reflections in only 1 gallon. (Not filled, so more like .75)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom