1 or 2 angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawkinoheat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So one of my angelfish died and ive only got one angelfish left in my communal tank. Us it best to leave it on its own or get another. The angelfish always seems to be on its own in the tank like a loner and im starting to feel sorry for it

So one of my angelfish died and ive only got one angelfish left in my communal tank. Us it best to leave it on its own or get another. The angelfish always seems to be on its own in the tank like a loner and im starting to feel sorry for it

I had the same problem. I had 2 angels and one died. But I also have a Dwarf Gourami, and the Angel and the DG seem to hang out quite a bit. I am thinking about getting another Angel though. What I have researched and found out. If your current Angel isn't too big (mature) you shouldn't have a problem adding another one. You may just need to rearrange your tank so your current Angel isn't territorial.

How big is your tank? Adding another angel to a tank with an exsisting angel can be an issue. As already stated removing the old angel, rearranging the tank, then adding the new angel, and lastly adding the old angel is the best way IMO to get the least amount of issues with the established angel. Also if you can get an angel comparible in body size to the old angel helps. Also alot will depend on the individual temperments of the angels involved as to whether it will work or not. But just so you know an angelfish will do fine on it own and there is no guarantee adding a new angel will sit well with the exsisting one.

In a four foot tank, with young angels, you can feel free to add another one if you wish. Something to keep in mind though, your angel is not lonely. They do school around when younger, but when they get older, they also get territorial and can be aggressive. A single angel in a proper sized/maintained tank is just fine. It will not stress from loneliness.
So, if you want to add another, go ahead. But, you do not NEED to. Up to you.

Don't bother with rearranging if the angel is that new. Also in a tank that size its not uncommon to stock 4 small young angels and see if any pair then rehome/sell the other ones. This way you get a pair that mostly will stay close and will have minimal aggression between them. Just remember angels are cichlids and it is natural for there to be some mild bickering, even between mates. But when you have a mated pair they will most likely spawn so a well planted tank, even if they are only fake plants, helps alot to keep spawning parents aggression down to a small spawning area. You have choices so just decide which one is the best for you. Over the years I've kept several single angels.

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll leave it then. As I say they went in as a pair but the other 1 died its just always on its own in the tank whilst the others swim together and interact. Felt sorry for the poor thing lol

Back
Top Bottom