10 billion corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, not really that many, but on fishbase.org there sure is a lot of them.

I'm getting ready to get a 55 gal up and running, the plans for which is in this post...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=19325

I just need to figure out what type of cory's I want to add to it. I had no idea that there were so many of them.

Considering the needs of the other fish, what types would you guys recommend? So far I like the Three stripe cory (Corydoras trilineatus) the best.

Also, would it be a big deal if I got 2 different species of them? Or would it be best to get all one type?

Cories are certainly wonderful! I have three different species (8 total individuals) in my community tank and they herd together. (I know they are fish and they should "school," but I assure you, they herd like cattle grazing the substrate.)
I have mine in with a Rubber Lip Pleco, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 Kuhli Loaches, Butterfly Loach, 3 Silver-tip Tetras, 2 Serpae Tetra, young convict cichlid-- Archocentrus nigrofaciatus (just visiting), 3 clown loaches-- Botia macracanthus (just visiting), 2 brichardi (also visiting), and 4 assorted “rounder” Tetras. They are all living in a 29 gal until the 50 comes in later today!!! Once the larger tank is established and things get straightened out, I will be getting more cories and rams--wonderful, peaceful fish.
Have fun setting up your new tank(s)!

I'd get more cories, but they already compete with 5 clown loaches. I think 6 is enough in my case ;)

There are a lot of species, but unfortunately, it's really tough to get all but a few of them. I bought four that were labeled C. julii, but I knew better. They were actually a mix of C. trilineatus and one I've not seen and no one over at Planet Catfish could figure out either.

I looked fairly hard for duplicareous, adolfi, metae, davidsandsi and a few others with no luck. Had several stores ask their suppliers, but to no avail. I was told that the adolfi were available seasonally to one of the stores. Check aquabid.com occasionally.

You'll mostly find:
C. panda
C. trilineatus (mislabeled as julii)
C. aeneus (Bronze Cory and an albino sp.)
C. agassizii
C. paleatus (Peppered Cory)
C. pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory)
C. sterbai
C. arcuatus

I like the pygmy and 3 stripe so far. Looks like I'm in luck if they are that readily available. The bronze ones aren't bad either. I'll have to do some compatability research this week. Maybe get 4-6 of each. I'm sure they'd like to be in large numbers like that...

deli_conker said:
So far I like the Three stripe cory (Corydoras trilineatus) the best. Also, would it be a big deal if I got 2 different species of them? Or would it be best to get all one type?

You'll love them. I never met a Cory I didn't like. If you want personality, go w/ sterbai, axelrodi or the common "Pepper" (C. paleatus). Albino aeneus are the most common and trouble-free. Mixing them is fine, especially ones with little chance of inter-species breeding. That's a no-no. I promise you, whatever you wind up with, you won't be disappointed. - Frank/Guppyman

Hmmm. Where would I find information on the "species interbreeding" thing. Which ones are least likely to interbreed?

Inter-species Breeding

Hi,

I probably needlessly scared you. The chances of it happening are rare, especially in the community-tank environment. I wouldn't concern yourself unless you get very closely related species from the same locale and decide to try your hand at breeding them. For the BEST Cory and pl*co info on the web: http://www.planetcatfish.com

My apologies. - Frank/Guppyman

I have 3 distinct species of cory all of the "spotted" type in my tank. It is nearly impossible to get the same species unless you go with one of the above listed that have well defined markings (or if you are an expert at identifying them). I have two species with nearly identical markings but the mouth structure is significantly different between them.

They all shoal together though you can notice distinct differences in behavior amongst the species I have. One species likes to sleep on broad plant leaves during the day while another prefers to sleep under the stem plants....yet they always try to stick together for the most part.

Some of the species can definately be tricky, there's quite a few that are extremely similar, very few differences, and it really takes a trained eye to tell them apart

I have two unknown spotted, and two trilineatus. They tend to hang out in pairs, but the pairs are not always by species. It's just as common to see one spotted with one trilineatus as it is to see both of the same species together.

Thanks for all the info.

I think I will get about 12 of them. It's kinda weird talking about these kind of numbers because I'm used to bigger fish...

Back
Top Bottom