10 gal set up for dwarf frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,
I have just acquired a 10 gal tank for next to nothing and have a lot of accessories left over from various equipment upgrades on my 55 gal.

In this 10 gal I plan to have plenty of plants and want to house the three dwarf frogs that are currently in the 55. I just would like to see them more and I know I can accomplish that in this smaller tank.

My question is kind of an echo of a previous poster about over filtering.

I have a HOT Magnum that I used to use on the 55 before I upgraded to a canister. I think it is 250 gph and I know it is complete overkill on a 10 gallon tank, especially since I will have plants in there.

I am just curious as to what thoughts you have about overfiltering to THIS extent.
I probably shouldnt even consider it since the frogs like low flow areas, it just would be nice if I could use what I have already because it takes time to order things online and even longer before I can drive 100 miles to the closest LFS.

I was planning on ordering a small HOB filter they are quite inexpensive I just am anxious to get the cycling process started. Patience is NOT one of my strong suits...lol.

Any thoughts?

Also if you were me would you also transfer one of my 3 BN Pleco's to the new tank after cycling?

THanks!

Definately don't use the magnum on the 10 gal with the ADF's. They will not appreciate the current at all. An AC filter would be great. Take some media from the other tank and put it in the new filter. Also take some substrate and put it in the new tank. I'd keep the BN pleco where he is.

Yeah, when I got the filter next to the tank I could see how rediculous it would be. So I will just have to wait until the next trip to walmart :) The right filter should be easy to come by there.

One of the frogs is looking a bit fat which is part of my hurry. I would like to keep a closer eye on him/her.

Yeah, that is kind of what I am worried about. My daughter just dumped WAY too much food into the tank a few days ago. I immediately did a 50% PWC to suck out all the food I could get but I am sure there was alot of food in places I could not get too.

I was hoping that the frog just stuffed himself stupid. But...I expect it can happen. He/she (cant tell which sex) seems less fat today but I think I will do another PWC as you suggest, like you said, it certainly cant hurt! I have also seen GSA increasing which would suggest I missed a bunch of the food.

Thanks for the advice.
:)

ok ***update*** I have looked up some pictures of dropys in ADF as well as many other diseases and it would appear this is not the case with my fat frog, is a female and just just looks more plump than usual. Full in the belly, not like a balloon. I can now confirm I have two females and a male.

I still want to set up the new tank but other research suggests they could do fine without or with minimal filtration with added areation.

So I think I will set up the tank, and hopefully by the time I actually get a filter, I will be able to transfer them over because the cylcing should go pretty quick with plants and biological material from the other tank. :)

How fun! :)

Back
Top Bottom