10 Gal Stocking Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyzzleT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

Unfortunately I recently followed some bad advice from a LFS employee and am working to correct my mistake. I had a 5 gal with a Betta and 3 ghost shrimp...and the lady told me that ember tetras would work well, which they do. Unfortunately she told me that 3 was plenty for a school, which i later found out to be incorrect (should have done my research first, last impulse buy for sure).

So, to avoid having my little guys hate life, I upgraded to a 10 gal tonight and they seem to enjoy the extra space for sure. I made sure to make the move as painless as possible and everyone seems energetic and well. (took literally everything out of the 5 gal to "insta-cycle"; will keep an eye on parameters just in case)

My question is, for the 10 gal, what do you guys think of 1 betta, 6 embers, and 4-5 ghost shrimp (i love these little guys, great scavengers)? Would that be too much? The 5 gal had 1 betta, 3 embers and 3 ghost and i didnt have any trouble with bio-load..especially since i maintain a very strict tank maintenance schedule. I'll probably wait a week or two to add the embers just to make sure my tank doesnt do anything weird Nitrogen cycle wise even though in theory it should be okay.

Also, any recommendations for easily grown plants? The tank is just a top fin starter kit so the lighting definitely isnt the best it could be. Not using ferts or anything. Right now I have Water wisteria which is doing pretty well. Java moss is doing well (what a surprise lol). My java fern sucks and my Rotala is too early to tell.

Thanks all!

That should be fine as ember tetras are one of the smaller species, just keep an eye on everything to make sure the betta is not harassing or being a harasser. Some easy to grow plants are Anubis, Amazon swords( these do need root tabs as any swords does).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

have you had any experience using osmocote and capsules as root tabs? i have some just havent given it a shot yet

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

have you had any experience using osmocote and capsules as root tabs? i have some just havent given it a shot yet

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

It's what I use in my tanks. All my plants responded better to them than the seachem root tabs. Just bury them deep enough in the substrate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have that exact stock! I have a betta, 8 embers and am getting 3 cherry shrimp within the week! I have a Tetra Whisper PF10, live plants and an air pump so my water is healthy and the bio load isn't too much. Good choice of stock!

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

I have anacharis floating in a 10g low light tank and it's doing well, and the betta seems to enjoy hanging out in it

I have that exact stock! I have a betta, 8 embers and am getting 3 cherry shrimp within the week! I have a Tetra Whisper PF10, live plants and an air pump so my water is healthy and the bio load isn't too much. Good choice of stock!

20g long Baby Shark tank

Lol awesome! in a way im glad my lfs gave me terrible advice bc it gave me an excuse to upgrade a little bit. The embers are a lot more lively now and its awesome to see them like that...itll be even better once i get the other ones in there. How are the cherries as cleaners? My ghosts pick at everything

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have anacharis floating in a 10g low light tank and it's doing well, and the betta seems to enjoy hanging out in it

Im probably gonma grab one of those too.

Lol awesome! in a way im glad my lfs gave me terrible advice bc it gave me an excuse to upgrade a little bit. The embers are a lot more lively now and its awesome to see them like that...itll be even better once i get the other ones in there. How are the cherries as cleaners? My ghosts pick at everything

The cherries aren't in yet but I will tell you when they come!

20g long Baby Shark tank

The cherries aren't in yet but I will tell you when they come!

20g long Baby Shark tank

Sweet. I put my embers in last night and they LOVE the extra company. I put the 2 extra ghosts in last night too but one died this morning. Thats the only thing that sucks about ghosts...the terrible conditions they are kept in prior to getting them

Sweet. I put my embers in last night and they LOVE the extra company. I put the 2 extra ghosts in last night too but one died this morning. Thats the only thing that sucks about ghosts...the terrible conditions they are kept in prior to getting them

Good luck with the ghost :D

46g Red tailed shark tank

Back
Top Bottom