10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rykerpartyof

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, so I recently posted my plans for a 29 gal setup to troubleshoot and it looks like that's fine, but I also have an extra 10 I want to do something with and I haven't been able to come up with anything. What would you do with it?

You could do a lovely planted tank to house a very lucky betta. If I had a spare ten, that's what I'd do with it. :)

I would throw an extra filter on the 29 gallon and keep the 10 for a QT. When you get new fish pull the extra filter, fill up the 10, heater, and you have an instantly cycled QT. This is an absolute must for all aquarists. I can not emphasize enough the importance of this. I QT all new fish with Paraguard for treatment. I did not use one in the past and my beautiful Angels paid the price. I know it is not as exciting as a new fish but your current fish will thank you.

I would throw an extra filter on the 29 gallon and keep the 10 for a QT. When you get new fish pull the extra filter, fill up the 10, heater, and you have an instantly cycled QT. This is an absolute must for all aquarists. I can not emphasize enough the importance of this. I QT all new fish with Paraguard for treatment. I did not use one in the past and my beautiful Angels paid the price. I know it is not as exciting as a new fish but your current fish will thank you.

I ABSOLUTELY agree, I have lost way too many fish by not knowing I need a qt tank! These times I am doing it right! But I have plenty of 10 gallons (reptile enthusiast) with screen tops I can sanitize and make qt since I'm moving my reptiles to a better setup. This one has a hood though so I want to do a nice small tank :) I sincerely appreciate the warning though and I wish someone had told me this a couple years ago! It also reminds me to keep one handy instead of in storage. My future fish thank you as well! :fish2:

Okay then what snails do you guys think I should be looking into? Also sand or gravel, do they have a preference?

Mystery Snails are my favorite. They do fine with sand or gravel. But if you are doing plants sand would be better.

Back
Top Bottom