10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MitcherNeaf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, i have a 55 gallon tank i already own, and i have a 10 gallon tank that i was going to use as an isolation tank incase anything got a disease, but its kind of in the way, and not being used so i figured im going to put it in my daughters room and use it as a night light for her. Im just wondering what kind of fish to put in it. I was thinking about a couple neon tetras but not sure what else would go in there. I want something neat and colorful, she is only 2 and needs something pretty or exciting to catch her attention.

Would a silver molly or betta be ok with say 4 neons?
thanks
mitch

well just get about 8 neon tetras and your choice of bottom feeder and put a small black light on top and you will be fine, the tetras will glow and so will your daughters eyes when she sees them

any suggestions with bottom feeders? something that is pretty cool looking.

Cories need more than 3. You could go with 6-8 neons and atleast 6 cories. I'd stick with the smaller types (panda, trilineatus, skunk, bandit, pygmy, habrosus, hastatus). The latter 3 only get an inch and would be better in a group of atleast 8.

You could skip the bottom feeders and go with a dwarf or honey gourami and 6 neons.

Another option is Harlequin rasboras. I like them better than neons. Sometimes neons can be weakly and die on you. Harlies are pretty hardy and have a beautiful red color. They would do well with a male betta. I've kept neons with a betta before and they didn't do so well (hid alot)...but my Harlies make great tankmates for my male betta.

Panda cories are a little sensitive - so be aware that you may have to explain "why that fish is swimming funny". Personally I like Mystery snails - they're quite cute and come in a variety of colors (and can be easily replaced w/out notice).

Mixing bettas with any other fish, or even snails, is iffy - some of them are great with tankmates, some of them aren't. You could do a betta with a platy (mickey mouse platies are cute) just be ready to rescue the platy to your larger tank if you need to.

i would skip the bottom feeder (in my experience, kids don't look at them as much as the swimming-around-kind) and go for a dwarf gourami and a school of tetras.

Bottom feeders typically produce a lot of nitrates; more than a dwarf gourami would, so I'm not sure what you mean by the extraneous cleaning comment, but at any rate,

A dwarf gourami is very colorful and eye-catching, as are cardinal/neon tetras. I would reccomend that stocking.

Perhaps if you're experienced enough you could get a piar of GBRs? Beautiful fish.

i think the fish may get a little screwy with 24 hour lighting. we have chemicals in us, that make us more tired when its dark. however we can sleep in the light, because we can close our eyes, fish cant

thanks for all the info, as far as the 24 hour light, her room stays pretty dark throughout the day, and she doesnt really go in there, or ever really turn the light on, so im guessing i could get them mixed up and think that night time was day time and day was night. But ill do a search on some of those fish and see if she likes any of them. Thankyou very much
mitch

Back
Top Bottom