10 gallon aquarium stock suggestions and help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am moving a goldfish to a 20 gallon, so I was wondering if I could put this in the 10 gallon when the moor moves out
5 zebra danios
5 jumbo neon tetras
2 otocinclus
One apple snail
4 black kuhli loaches
3 African dwarf frogs
8 ghost shrimp
Thanks, please give me any tips or other nice fish I can put in this 10 gallon thanks:)

I am moving a goldfish to a 20 gallon, so I was wondering if I could put this in the 10 gallon when the moor moves out
5 zebra danios
5 jumbo neon tetras
2 otocinclus
One apple snail
4 black kuhli loaches
3 African dwarf frogs
8 ghost shrimp
Thanks, please give me any tips or other nice fish I can put in this 10 gallon thanks:)

The danios are too active for a 10 gallon. The loaches also need a larger tank. So those 2,IMO, would be out. I would either go with the ottos OR the mystery snail. Im not sure on the frogs, sorry. In my 10 gallon I have: 6 neons, 2 ottos and some shrimp, similar to your idea.

Ok, I agree on the danios, they are pretty active
The loaches are the small type of loaches 4 inches at the biggest, so I don't know, what about compatability?

If your asking about the compatibility of the neons, shrimp and ottos, it's fine. Just be sure that the shrimp are good size. I have 4 black kuhlis in my 29 gallon and they are zooming all over.

Well, I'm really looking for everithing, and what top swimmer can I replace for the zebra danios?

5 zebra danios
5 jumbo neon tetras
2 otocinclus
One apple snail
4 black kuhli loaches
3 African dwarf frogs
8 ghost shrimp

IMO that is just too much fish for a 10g tank. I have 4 tetra, two band cats and a betta in mine. And it has reached its capacity!

I've read most of your threads and I don't think you will enjoy keeping a goldfish in a small tank for several reasons: having one fish in a tank gets boring after a while, you will have to keep up with constant water changes, and you still have the chance of stunting the goldfish's growth.

Well, in the 20 gallon with the goldfish I have 14 ghost shrimp and a female bristlenose pleco, I have two 20 gallon filters in it, and I do weekly 75% water changes, also with 4 white cloud mountain minnows and 20 gallons is still too small for a fancy goldfish its a 20 gallon long, it wouldn't work?

In my opinion goldfish are beautiful fish. But they are quite large fish and they do best in ponds :/ if I were you I'd have the 10 gallon for nano fish and shrimp and the 20 a community tank!

Well, the thing is I already have a 5 gallon with a betta, so I don't think I would like to get the same fish I already have

I agree that the loaches and danios aren't suited to the ten gallon. I have five glowlight tetras, three pristella tetra, three pygmy corys, and three cherry shrimp in my planted ten gallon. I may move the pristellas to another tank later (right now they are really tiny).

Yeah unless you have a BOSS filtration system and want to do water changes every other day, that is way too much bio load for a 10 gallon. Not just the bio load, but the fish will be stressed in that tight of a space.

How about a honey dwarf guorami, a few small tetras, a mystery snail, and a couple dwarf cory's. That is still a highly stocked tank, but not anywhere near as bad as you first said.

10 gallon tank new idea?

I was thinking about these fish in my 10 gallon
2 bristlenose plecos(these only grow to about 4-5 inches)
5 wcmm(white cloud mountain minnow)
4 black kuhli loaches( only grow to be 4")
3 or 4 African dwarf frogs
One thing I could substitute would be the two plecos for two otocinclus

I don't know if its just me but that seems like it would be very heavily overstocked. I'm just thinking of the 1inch of fish per gallon (I know, very arbitrary and crude measurement), but from that you'd have enough fish to stock a 35(ish) gallon tank at the least.

I was thinking about these fish in my 10 gallon
2 bristlenose plecos(these only grow to about 4-5 inches)
5 wcmm(white cloud mountain minnow)
4 black kuhli loaches( only grow to be 4")
3 or 4 African dwarf frogs
One thing I could substitute would be the two plecos for two otocinclus

Yes, because of the bioload and the activity and size of the fish. Bristlenoses don't belong in a 10g because they get too big. Dwarf frogs belong in a species only tank. WCMM would probably be ok but a bigger tank would be better. The kuhlis are skinny but get quite long and they are active. They do better in larger groups in a bigger tank. A 10g might not provide enough food (algae) for a otos. You need to look into nano fish for a 10g.

Don't get BN they don't belong in a 10 gallon their bipolar is huge anyway when your talking about 10 gallons I would do a stock of

5 white clouds
4 black kuhlis or 2 African dwarf frogs
3 Otos

Back
Top Bottom