10 gallon betta community options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klsbetta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I'm planning to start up a ten gallon betta community tank this weekend, and I would love some recommendations as to what tank mates to get! So far I'm thinking 4 corydoras and maybe 5 rasboras, if I can find them in my city. There aren't many options in my area! It may or may not be a planted tank, I'm not sure yet. So yeah, any suggestions would be highly appreciated! :)

Here is my betta, in case anyone wants to see him. He is a tail-biter, so I'm hoping that will stop once he's in the ten gallon!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400617298.403002.jpg

It depends on the personality of the Betta. You will have to experiment. Some are passive and will not attack corys and some will. I keep my Betta in a 10 gallon by himself. Alone. He's happy. Having said that, you may try some Ghost Shrimp or a Nerite snail. Clown Loaches have been known to reach 8-10 inches in length. I would not recommend them for a 10 gallon tank.

Otherwise, your first fisg ideas are good, unless your beta gets too aggressive. Maybe add one to each of the schools of fish. For cories, try to find a smaller sp. too, such as a pygmy cory sp.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've already tested him with zebra danios, and he did fine! He was in a five gallon tank, and there were three danios (which I only kept for a couple weeks since I didn't have the space). I think that especially with all the space he'll have, he would be okay with virtually any acceptable tank mate! He's at least 2 years old, so he's gotten pretty placid. I'll just have to stop by the fish store and see what they have in stock! I think corydoras or otos will be a must. :) What are some good smaller schooling fish, preferably not neon tetras?

I've already tested him with zebra danios, and he did fine! He was in a five gallon tank, and there were three danios (which I only kept for a couple weeks since I didn't have the space). I think that especially with all the space he'll have, he would be okay with virtually any acceptable tank mate! He's at least 2 years old, so he's gotten pretty placid. I'll just have to stop by the fish store and see what they have in stock! I think corydoras or otos will be a must. :) What are some good smaller schooling fish, preferably not neon tetras?
LOL! I tried dwarf corys and my betta killed them. So he stays in his heavily planted 10 gallon by himself! I will say that he is healthy and happy. from time to time i put in ghost shrimp: he tolerates them for a while until he gets the urge for "live" food. Then he dines.

Ahh it's just so hard to decide haha!! Maybe a couple of apple snails and some hatchet fish? I read that they're good with bettas, but I don't know. I've never seen anyone keep them together! I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the shop has.

I just read on an old post that a couple people recommended 6 Pygmy cories and 6 small schooling fish for a 10 gallon betta tank...would this be okay? It seems overstocked in my opinion, but I don't know. It would be fantastic if I could have that many!

Might not be overstocked but will certainly look crowded/busy. Less is more in my opinion

+1. I have got to the point I have more plants than fish... Except for the 55 gallon with Silver Dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a bunch for all of the suggestions! I think I'll end up getting 3 or 5 corydoras or otos, and a school of whatever little fish the shop has! And perhaps a snail as well, although I've heard that they're pretty harsh on the bio-load. :p

For a cory to be happy they need a minimum of 6 since they are schooling and a 30 gallon or above.

A 10 gallon will not hold many fish, most like to swim around.

I have my red betta with a blueberry of shrimp to offset the color.

I have 6 corys, 6 cardinal tetras, and a betta in a heavily planted 10g tank. Imho its a perfect balance between bottom and mid swimmers. They've been in there for around a year happily living together.

Hmm...I don't know how heavily I will be able to plant it at first, but I'll do what I can! I'll probably get the cories/otos first, then wait a few days and get the rasboras/tetras. Is there any order in which I should introduce them to the tank, to avoid any territorial issues?

Hmm...I don't know how heavily I will be able to plant it at first, but I'll do what I can! I'll probably get the cories/otos first, then wait a few days and get the rasboras/tetras. Is there any order in which I should introduce them to the tank, to avoid any territorial issues?

I would pick cories over otos honestly. It can be really difficult to acquire healthy oto cats. Either way I would add the oto / corys last.

i think you could do 4x corys and a school of swimmers , but then think you would be fully stocked ?

Would that leave some room for more fish? I think I would rather have extra space than a full stock of fish!

Back
Top Bottom