10 Gallon Betta Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, since the freshwater pipefish was gone I bought a snow white half moon betta, its a 10 gallon planted tank and I've been playing around with this website AqAdvisor and it said my stock list was ok but I thought it was a little much, so I decided to ask all of you to see if its ok.

Here it is:
Betta x1
Otocinclus x5
Harlequin Rasbora x5
Amano shrimp x4

I'd think you are good as far as stocking numbers and size. I'd do a 30-35% water change every week. Test your water before your water change at day 7 and see where you are at.

I'm not a big fan of putting betta in a community tank. A lot of times either the betta is fin nipping or the other fish are nipping the betta..... depending on the betta, some get stressed by the sheer number of other fish around it IME. This isn't always the case and depends on the specific fish you got.

I'd think you are good as far as stocking numbers and size. I'd do a 30-35% water change every week. Test your water before your water change at day 7 and see where you are at.

I'm not a big fan of putting betta in a community tank. A lot of times either the betta is fin nipping or the other fish are nipping the betta..... depending on the betta, some get stressed by the sheer number of other fish around it IME. This isn't always the case and depends on the specific fish you got.
I've tried bettas in community tanks several times and it's never ended well. There was never any fin nipping but the betta was always stressed with the other fish in close proximity. I think it would help if the fish stores introduced them to community tanks instead of keeping them isolated.

Every betta is different tho and many have successfully done it

I think your fine with what you got, but like said about basically just keep an eye on your Betta. Test your water daily or every other day to find your water changing schedule.

I've done betta community's 4 times in the past and 3 of 4 worked out but I did do it in a 20 long so I think I'm gonna try it thanks.

My betta did fine in a 29 with a community of tetras and Otos for a long time but as he got older the current became to much for him. (I have an ac70 on that tank) the saving grace for him was on of those floating betta logs that they sell at like petsmart/Petco. It had the duel purpose of giving him a place to sleep up close to the surface and giving him a hideout away from potentially nippy tetras and strong current.

So yeah, keep an eye on him. Sometimes it can be fine, sometimes not. As you know, there’s a lot of variables.

Back
Top Bottom