10 gallon fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to an article I read the dwarf species are hastatus *sp habrosus and Pygmaeus. If that's wrong what are the dwarf species?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Common names suck. Most LFS Cories are called Dwarf Corydoras.

The pygmy species that are available are
C pygmaeus
C habrosus
C hastatus

It's confusing. I use pygmy to distinguish between species that are 2.5-3" like C paleatus ( Peppered Cory ) and my wee little C pygmaeus topping out at 1".

So I was taught Pygmies are tinier than Dwarves ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420783838.881309.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Another stocking suggestion is a pair of killifish. I would recommend the non annuals. They are much easier to breed and deal with but just as colorful.

According to an article I read the dwarf species are hastatus *sp habrosus and Pygmaeus. If that's wrong what are the dwarf species?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Same here. I have never actually heard the term dwarf cory to apply to anything but these 3. I avoid saying pygmy cory to describe them since it confuses people about about whether your mean the actual pygmy cory (pygmaeus) or just one of the 3 smallest species. I agree though, common names suck. But, typing out latin can take a lot longer when making a list.

What about a freshwater goby? I think they are adorable. Not all that colorful but very amusing. They need sand though...

Same here. I have never actually heard the term dwarf cory to apply to anything but these 3. I avoid saying pygmy cory to describe them since it confuses people about about whether your mean the actual pygmy cory (pygmaeus) or just one of the 3 smallest species. I agree though, common names suck. But, typing out latin can take a lot longer when making a list.

All the LFSs and PetsmartCos use Dwarf Cory for the regular Corys.

Here is a nice article about keeping and breeding the tiny Corys
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27184

I'm a member of Planet Catfish also, this quote stuck with me ?

"One of three species of pygmy cory (C. habrosus, hastatus and pygmeaus respectively). "

All the LFSs and PetsmartCos use Dwarf Cory for the regular Corys.

Here is a nice article about keeping and breeding the tiny Corys
Tell me about dwarf corydoras- PlanetCatfish.com

I'm a member of Planet Catfish also, this quote stuck with me ?

"One of three species of pygmy cory (C. habrosus, hastatus and pygmeaus respectively). "

I have kept habrosus for years. I read that on planet catfish as well quite awhile ago (where I am also a member) and I had used to call all the little ones pygmies but it super confused a few people because of the C. pygmaeus, so I quit. I had never ever seen the bigger species called dwarves though. That is all.
In the end, we are obviously all saying the same thing though to the OP. Cories that max out at about 1 inch. :)

Back
Top Bottom