10 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPXnoob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm wondering what else I can add to my tank. I only have 4 guppies, a crowntail betta, and a mini crab at the moment and the tank looks desolate. It's moderately planted and is 6 months old. Any advice on viable tankmates?

A 10 gallon is not very big. Honestly, your stocking options are limited. Are your guppies all the same gender, or will they breed?

All are males. Wild type specifically so the finnage is not extravagant enough to get my betta worked up. :) I thought the bioload would be slighty more because of the plants in the tank but I could be mistaken.

guppies could be a problem with your betta because of their flowy tails and their colors, they can be mistaken as another bettas and your betta might attack them for that. just a warning....

if you decided to get more fishes and bring back the guppies, you can get ember tetras or cardinal tetras or neon tetras, or harlequin rasboras.

You are correct that the plants allow for a bigger bioload. The issues with stocking a small tank is the size restraint. I have a 10 gallon with a betta, ember tetras, and baby silver tip tetras. It is hard because there isn't a lot a swimming room like most fish need.
You could try shrimp (but some bettas will kill them). MAYBE, you could get a few dwarf corys since they live on the bottom. But, it have to be DWARF corys and even that may be too much. since they like to be in schools.

The guppies have small tails. Like the difference between a half moon and a plakat betta.

It's been 2 months. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 55 with a south American biotope.

Heavy planted. Lots of small fish. I prefer quantity over size. The action is more soothing. All the micro fish zooming about in and out of the cover. :) i's kinda a weird guy in that aspect. I love the tiny fish rather than the larger ones.

Any advice on species to integrate? I've decided on neon tetras for sure, they were the first fish I ever owned besides a school of ****ation mollies that kept the tank stocked. Lmao

Heavy planted. Lots of small fish. I prefer quantity over size. The action is more soothing. All the micro fish zooming about in and out of the cover. :) i's kinda a weird guy in that aspect. I love the tiny fish rather than the larger ones.
Thats why I love my ember tetras. they are awesome little guys. They stay pretty small though, so I have to be careful not to get any tankmates who can eat them!

Any advice on species to integrate? I've decided on neon tetras for sure, they were the first fish I ever owned besides a school of ****ation mollies that kept the tank stocked. Lmao
Sorry, did you mean advuce on the 10 gallon, or the possible future 55 gallon? Oh man, sooooooooo many different kinds could go in a 55 gallon.

55 Gallon upgrade eh? Good chance to empty out your 10 gallon tank and your wallet all in one stop...Got one myself..Then we need a good filter for a big tank..That Rena Filstar was good..and Need a BIG heater the small one wont cut it..and Hoods and lighting..and humm..Need more fish now the tanks is so big..and that big Tree looking thing to go in the tank and a BIG bubble bar..Gotta have bubbles. need a bigger air pump the little one dosent do good in the 55..and then and then and then!
Dont let it consume you! IT WILL!

I have alotted myself up to 500 for the tank. ;) I'm going big on it man. :) extra lighting for my plants. And the 500 does not include fauna. Only my flora. Any grasses that are south american?

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry, did you mean advuce on the 10 gallon, or the possible future 55 gallon? Oh man, sooooooooo many different kinds could go in a 55 gallon.

And my question is toward the 10 gallon. I have my plans for the 55 gallon already. :)

My best suggestions would be embers, a few more guppies, dwarf corys, or a small group of neons (although I have heard mixed reviews about neons with bettas). I don't know anything about the crab species though, so I do not know what he is compatible with. I bet he is cool though. I LOVE crabs.

daileene said:
guppies could be a problem with your betta because of their flowy tails and their colors, they can be mistaken as another bettas and your betta might attack them for that. just a warning....

if you decided to get more fishes and bring back the guppies, you can get ember tetras or cardinal tetras or neon tetras, or harlequin rasboras.

They said that they were wild type, which are smaller, and I believe have shorter, and clear colored tails. I have some in my ten gallon, and they are as I described.

user404 said:
55 Gallon upgrade eh? Good chance to empty out your 10 gallon tank and your wallet all in one stop...Got one myself..Then we need a good filter for a big tank..That Rena Filstar was good..and Need a BIG heater the small one wont cut it..and Hoods and lighting..and humm..Need more fish now the tanks is so big..and that big Tree looking thing to go in the tank and a BIG bubble bar..Gotta have bubbles. need a bigger air pump the little one dosent do good in the 55..and then and then and then!
Dont let it consume you! IT WILL!

I agree! I started with a 5 g betta tank now two years later I have 10 g for hermit crabs, 40 g 55 g and now a 75g it's a very addictive and expensive hobby (fish crack) lol!

Back
Top Bottom