10 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labrakitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
At the moment in my 10 gallon/40 Litre I have 2 otos, 5 rummy-nose tetras and a peppermint bristle nose. The bristle nose is going to be moved to a larger tank, if it gets too big. Do you think this is overstocked?

No, but I would recommend not adding any more fish. You could get a snail. BN pleco's generally don't get much larger than 5", a 20 or 29 gallon would be more suitable once it gets larger, and then you can use the 10gallon as a QT tank.

Is your tank properly cycled?

Ok great. No snails please, just got rid of them all. The peppermint BN is relatively smaller than the normal BN, but it will be moved to a 30 gallon when its bigger. I'll have the other fish when it goes in the bigger tank, and I already have a quarantine tank, so thats ok. The tanks been running for 2 years.

Enigma is talking about mystery snails. They are actually a lot of fun, and you need two of them to reproduce. So if you only buy one, you'll never worry about having a zillion baby snails.

I've never heard of a peppermint bn. It sounds cute. Is it a separate species? I'm gonna go look it up :)

I know about the snails, do they actually do anything for your tank? Do they make extra waste? The Peppermint Bristle Nose is a different species from the regular BN. (A lot more pricey too) They are black with white spots all over them, and some species have white tipped fins too.

Peppermint plecos are beautiful! The one we have at the store doesn't have any bristles, so I guess it is a different species than yours. I'd love to see pics if you have any.

Mystery snails are kinda cool, but yes they do produce a lot of waste IMO.

No Mystery snails then. The peppermint pleco and peppermint BN are two completely different species. The peppermint BN (What I have) is a species of Ancistrus. The pleco is a parancistrus species.

Back
Top Bottom