Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

10 gallon stocking ideas

I would like some ideas for what I can put into a 10 gallon. I would like Cory catfish any ideas on what type or how many? And what ideas on a centerpiece fish? Thanks everyone!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

When I got my aquarium, which is also a ten gallon, I also got cories. They're a great starter fish, and I actually have 2 in my aquariums at the moment. But another good starter fish I recommend is mollies becaus they live a good while and they're pretty easy to take care of

Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4242 View Post
I would like some ideas for what I can put into a 10 gallon. I would like Cory catfish any ideas on what type or how many? And what ideas on a centerpiece fish? Thanks everyone!
The only cories I would recommend for a ten gallon are pygmy/hasborous cories.

Centerpiece fish could include a betta (which could be risky), a honey gourami, a croaking gourami, or a type of killifish that would be appropriate for that size tank (not a golden wonder killifish). You could also do a trio as a centerpiece, ex. trio of guppies, sparkling gouramis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OblivionGamer92 View Post
When I got my aquarium, which is also a ten gallon, I also got cories. They're a great starter fish, and I actually have 2 in my aquariums at the moment. But another good starter fish I recommend is mollies becaus they live a good while and they're pretty easy to take care of
While mollies are nice, they have a big bioload that would make cleaning a ten gallon tank not much fun. I once had a mollie in a five gallon, and that only lasted for two months before I realized I would need a bigger tank to support its bioload and make water changes less of a hassle.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wouldn't say I need a beginner fish I have two tanks up and running for about 4 month now. But I'm just not entirely sure what kind of cories I would like and what type of centerpiece
Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OblivionGamer92
Corys need groups of at least 6, and mollies get too big for ten gallons. All fish live a long time with proper care and habitat.
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree with bruinsbro1997. A better would be a good centerpiece. You could also get some chili rasboras and scarlet badis.
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

@bruinsbro. What are some awesome looking bettas?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4242 View Post
@bruinsbro. What are some awesome looking bettas?
I like crowntail, delta, halfmoon plakat, and dragonscale bettas personally. There are several varieties of different color combinations of bettas. The coolest one I have seen yet was an orange/black betta at an LFS a long time ago. The coolest one I have ever kept was a halfmoon plakat blue/yellow betta, aptly named Betta Bruins

Be careful with bettas in community tanks however. It's a hit-or miss 50/50 shot, so be careful. The best thing to do would be to add the betta to a peaceful community tank, and then stock your 10G first. After add in the betta, as it would be used to all those fish. JMO.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nice!!

Tags
10 gallon, stocking, stocking ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com