10 gallon stocking ideas!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BalloonBellies

Aquarium Advice Regular
I received a ten gallon tank unexpectedly and I have no clue on what I want to do with it. So any suggestions on what to keep would be greatly appreciated. I like community tanks but id be open to a species tank. :)

+1 to endlers!! I absolutely love them. Right now I only have tigers (hybrids) but would prefer N-class (wild types). The tigers are really the most colorful entertaining fish I've had!

Maybe either divide it and get a couple male bettas? OR you could get a single male and a few endlers, or some shrimp...
Also you could decorate it heavily and make it a betta sorority with 4-6 females.

You could also do a small schooling fish like tetras, but then you'd have to make it a species only tank.

+1 to endlers!! I absolutely love them. Right now I only have tigers (hybrids) but would prefer N-class (wild types). The tigers are really the most colorful entertaining fish I've had!

Maybe either divide it and get a couple male bettas? OR you could get a single male and a few endlers, or some shrimp...
Also you could decorate it heavily and make it a betta sorority with 4-6 females.

You could also do a small schooling fish like tetras, but then you'd have to make it a species only tank.

Ill defiantly consider the endlers. Or the betta sorority, right now I have a female betta I want to move to a bigger tank. What other fish get along with a female betta?

It all depends on the betta.
In my sorority tank I have cories and tiger Endlers in with them, had some guppies in there too for a while and none of my girls had a problem with any of them, but I've also heard a lot of people having problems with brightly colored fish.
In a 10 gallon if you go the sorority route I'm gonna suggest that you only go with the bettas just because most species that are small enough for a 10 are schooling fish and there won't be enough space for a school and sorority in it. Unless you go 1 male plus a school of something

It all depends on the betta.
In my sorority tank I have cories and tiger Endlers in with them, had some guppies in there too for a while and none of my girls had a problem with any of them, but I've also heard a lot of people having problems with brightly colored fish.
In a 10 gallon if you go the sorority route I'm gonna suggest that you only go with the bettas just because most species that are small enough for a 10 are schooling fish and there won't be enough space for a school and sorority in it. Unless you go 1 male plus a school of something

Would a male betta get or just the female I have currently get along with platies? Kind of a random question but do you know of any small algae eating fish? I'm afraid to do oto cats cause I heard they're not that hardy :\

The only ones I know are oto cats and they do ok as long as your tank is well established and you keep up on water changes. I would do a stock of

1- Male Betta
3- Oto Cats
1- African Dwarf Frog.

Or
1- Male Betta
3- Oto Cats
5- Celestial Pearl Danios

Hillstream loach? I only have one so its not making a real impact on the algae in my small tank, but definitely an understated beauty and you could have a few as they are only small.

Hillstream loach? I only have one so its not making a real impact on the algae in my small tank, but definitely an understated beauty and you could have a few as they are only small.

Hill stream loaches need riverine tanks to thrive.

The only ones I know are oto cats and they do ok as long as your tank is well established and you keep up on water changes. I would do a stock of

1- Male Betta
3- Oto Cats
1- African Dwarf Frog.

Or
1- Male Betta
3- Oto Cats
5- Celestial Pearl Danios

Would a male betta and 4 platies of the same gender work?

Or
4 male guppies
3 platies
And a nerite snail?

In my experience with a 10 gallon tank, they tend to fluctuate in water parameters easily, so I would definitely add a hardy and low pooping fish in there, though you still need to do water changes but less stress on the parameters. I would make this a shrimp tank. Since you can't do much fish in a 10 gallon, I'd make this a nano shrimp-planted tank with maybe a betta. I'm planning to HEAVILY PLANT a ten gallon with moss, tons of cherry and ghost shrimp, a pretty betta, and maybe some snails. This would be pretty, and "kind" of self sustaining.

I honestly wouldn't do players in a 10 gallon. The male Betta will attack guppies because of their colors. But you could do like 4 male guppies and a few netrite snails.

why not save a Betta from a plastic cup fate? I have a beautiful blue Crowntail Betta in a 10g, he is the only inhabitant and loves it.

I would go with a Betta to honestly they do look amazing in a 10 gallon tank.

I honestly wouldn't do players in a 10 gallon. The male Betta will attack guppies because of their colors. But you could do like 4 male guppies and a few netrite snails.

Gonna go for the male Bettas and maybe a some nerite snails I think that be perfect for a 10 gallon. I defiantly don't want to over stock it

why not save a Betta from a plastic cup fate? I have a beautiful blue Crowntail Betta in a 10g, he is the only inhabitant and loves it.

Now that I decided on a betta, the bigger question is what color I should get ;)

In my experience with a 10 gallon tank, they tend to fluctuate in water parameters easily, so I would definitely add a hardy and low pooping fish in there, though you still need to do water changes but less stress on the parameters. I would make this a shrimp tank. Since you can't do much fish in a 10 gallon, I'd make this a nano shrimp-planted tank with maybe a betta. I'm planning to HEAVILY PLANT a ten gallon with moss, tons of cherry and ghost shrimp, a pretty betta, and maybe some snails. This would be pretty, and "kind" of self sustaining.

That's a good idea too but I never did a planted tank before so I don't know how well that would turn out for me. I am gonna do a betta fish. I think that be a good choice for a 10 gallon :)

You you should get a crown tail purple with the white tips on its fins they look amazing IMO

Back
Top Bottom