Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

10 gallon stocking ideas

Hi,
I'm going to to be setting up a 10 gallon tank in a few months and just wanted to be sure on what I'm putting in it... and I was really excited because this the first time I've ever had two tanks up and running. I was thinking either a planted shrimp tank or a nano reef, any other ideas? I already have a freshwater tank. Also I was leaning towards the shrimp tank because I did some research on the nano reef and it sounds a little complicated.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You are correct a nano reef is complicated. It is expensive too but in my opinion they can look the best. I have 3 freshwater tanks and a nano reef. I just love the massive variety and endless possibilities of a stocking list for a nano reef. So if you feel up to the challenge I would strongly recommend a nano reef but if you want a cool looking tank that you hardly need to touch i would say get the shrimp tank.

Stocking list I would recommend a clown fish pair (nice and easy to keep and look good)
Hope this helps

Old 03-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi,
Thanks for replying I've read online that clown fish need at least 20 gallons and I have only 10, also if I get a nano reef what would I have to do and would I need a sea anemone for the clown fish?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncybubbles View Post
Hi,
Thanks for replying I've read online that clown fish need at least 20 gallons and I have only 10, also if I get a nano reef what would I have to do and would I need a sea anemone for the clown fish?
If your interesting in learning more or asking any SW reef questions I suggest you post them in the SW reef forum. This is a FW forum.

As for a 10g FW you can do planted fancy shrimp tank and even add a few nano fish such as Chili Rasbora's, Scarlet Badis, and CPD's for example. There are also Orange Dwarf Mexican Crayfish and Micro Thai Crabs that work great in small tanks.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

10 gallon stocking ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncybubbles View Post
Hi,

Just to answer real quick,I wouldn't put more than 1 clown in a 10 (IMHO they really should have a 15 or larger but people love them and always want them so....) and no they don't need anemone. If you decide you want to try a nano reef (not that hard, and can be amazingly beautiful) post a thread in the nano reef forum on the sw side and well be happy to help you.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

After I researched nanos, I found out that a 10g could probably just host a small goby.. :/ if you go in the saltwater section, there is a nano reef group that can help you a lot
Old 03-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or look at Planted FW Shrimp tanks
This is an old vid, before I added other fish besides Otos. I wish I hadn't some days. Miss seeing all the babies. This is a 10g tank
http://youtu.be/2dxCfQK6jBg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, gallon, ideas, stock, stocking, stocking ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com