10 gallon suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 10 gallon tank that is already set up. in it is 1 female paradise fish and 5 danios. is there room for anything else? just curious...

Paradise fish and gouramis will fight. They are both very territorial and belong to the same family. Your tank is already a little over stocked.

yeah, i have heard that paradise fish and gouramis will fight, so they are out of the question. hm, neons interesting though... what about a platy or 2?

How often do you do water changes? How longs has the tank been established?

I have a dwarf flame in my daughters 10G and its doing fine. Have had it for about 4 months. I have heard the same. Dont know if all are affected by it.

I doubt your paradise fish will allow much of anything else in her tank. They are one of the most aggressive freshwater fish available. How did you decide to get one of those? I've had one, loved him, but couldn't put anything with him except 5 Badis Badis....and that was in a 30 gallon tank. He seemed to (barely) tolerate them because they were so small. At first he tolerated 3 Bolivian Rams, seemingly because they were bottom-dwellers and he maintained mostly the middle and top, but once he matured a bit he began picking on them...and anything else, except those tiny Badis Badis.

You managed to get just about the most aggressive fish you could find, so I doubt you'll find much that will co-exist with a paradise fish, especially when she's mature. And absolutely do not try anything in the same family, like a gourami. You'll wake up to a dead gourami. The paradise fish will always win... The paradise fish is beautiful and full of personality, why not consider keeping the single fish? It's a small tank and she'll get nearly as big as your hand if fed a varied, healthy diet twice a day.

I would recommend some "Endlers" wont add much at all to bioload and you can get quite a few for a nice shoal affect.

thanks guys for your interesting observations. to answer questions, the tank has been estabished for about a year now. water changes usually every fortnight. i am not really sure why i decided to get a paradise fish, just tought they were very beautiful. i also like how intelligent they are - seem a bit more switched on than most smaller fish!
i have had no trouble with agression from her so far, used to have 2 loaches in there which have moved to a bigger tank now. although maybe that because she is still quite young?
i would really like her to grow bigger - she seems to be a slow grower!
endlers are an interesting suggestions. i wil think about it for a couple of days. becasue i suppose people are right, shouldn't upset a tank that is peaceful and well established!

Back
Top Bottom