10 Gallon Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JourReve08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! First time poster here! I started a freshwater 10 gallon tank a little over a month now and I'm wondering if my tank is overstocked, just right, or if I could add one or two more small fish.

Current occupants:
3 cherry barbs
4 zebra danios
1 topsail platy
1 dalmatian molly

There is about an inch and a half of substrate and a few live plants in the tank. It is well filtered and heated. I'm interested in getting an oto cat or a few more cherry barbs. I'd really love a dwarf gourami, but I'm pretty sure I don't have room. I'm also wondering about ghost shrimp and if they might be a good addition to my tank! Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Hello! First time poster here! I started a freshwater 10 gallon tank a little over a month now and I'm wondering if my tank is overstocked, just right, or if I could add one or two more small fish.

Current occupants:
3 cherry barbs
4 zebra danios
1 topsail platy
1 dalmatian molly

There is about an inch and a half of substrate and a few live plants in the tank. It is well filtered and heated. I'm interested in getting an oto cat or a few more cherry barbs. I'd really love a dwarf gourami, but I'm pretty sure I don't have room. I'm also wondering about ghost shrimp and if they might be a good addition to my tank! Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Use aqadvisor.com it really helps!

I already checked it lol, it says your current stocking level is over 100%. It's at 112%, which isn't Terrible. I'm not expert but I'd say no to the otos since they need to be in a schools. You already have two schooling species in your tank that need 5 of each in order to do well. You pretty fully stocked. Aqua adviser recommended that you do a 30% water change every week, which will be fine. I wouldn't add any more fish if I were you.

Usually a ten gallon should have
1 school of 5
1 centerpiece fish
Small cleanup crew. (Snails, or Pygmy corys for your tank)

I think

1 dwarf gourami
5 cherry barbs or 5 zebra danios
3-4 Pygmy Cory's
1-2 mystery snails.

Would look nice in your tank.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong with this stock :)

Hope this helped

I already checked it lol, it says your current stocking level is over 100%. It's at 112%, which isn't Terrible. I'm not expert but I'd say no to the otos since they need to be in a schools. You already have two schooling species in your tank that need 5 of each in order to do well. You pretty fully stocked. Aqua adviser recommended that you do a 30% water change every week, which will be fine. I wouldn't add any more fish if I were you.

Usually a ten gallon should have
1 school of 5
1 centerpiece fish
Small cleanup crew. (Snails, or Pygmy corys for your tank)

I think

1 dwarf gourami
5 cherry barbs or 5 zebra danios
3-4 Pygmy Cory's
1-2 mystery snails.

Would look nice in your tank.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong with this stock :)

Hope this helped

Oh my gosh!! That's what I want my tank to be!! Can I add two platys??

If you do have a 10 gallon, here's what aqua adviser suggested.

Here's what I put as your stock, that's what you wanted right?

image-3858341475.jpg

Here's the cations with this stock.

image-2677880028.jpg

I think you might be able to pull it off if you keep up with water changes. Anyone else agree or is it to much?

Seems like a great set up to me, minus the corys since they need to be in a school and there isn't enough room for two schools in a 10 gallon! It's funny, by cherry barbs have really perked up since I added the two newest zebra danios. Although now I wish I had opted to sick with cherry barbs and just gotten a bigger school. Oh well, hindsight. At least they all seem healthy and happy!

Seems like a great set up to me, minus the corys since they need to be in a school and there isn't enough room for two schools in a 10 gallon! It's funny, by cherry barbs have really perked up since I added the two newest zebra danios. Although now I wish I had opted to sick with cherry barbs and just gotten a bigger school. Oh well, hindsight. At least they all seem healthy and happy!

Yeah, I thought the corys might be a little much. I think you have a good stock, I've never kept zebra danios but they are very pretty so I know why you were tempted to get them lol. I always make a stock plan then go to my lfs and screw it all up cause I find another fish I want lol. :)

Mollies should be in at least a 20-30g. They get good sized and are poop machines. Most Livebearers have big bioloads for their size.

I would return the Molly for sure. 1 Platy should be ok. You are really pushing the limits on a 10g IME.

I have Celestial Pearl Danios in my 10g.
It's tough trying to mix and match. It's better for the long term health of Shoaling fish to have groups of 5 or more of the exact same species.

But we all start somewhere. I would not add fish for now. Move the Molly and let your fish grow.

Most LFS fish are juveniles, not full adults.

I loved my Cherry Barbs. Mine lived 5-7 years.

Well, the barbs and danios are active fish; I'd say a 10 is too small for them actually and their schools should be filled out some but I wouldn't add more to a 10 gal.

Platys and mollys are rather messy fish. If you can save up and upgrade to a 30 gal you'd have more options for fish and can add to the barb and danio schools as well.

Well, the barbs and danios are active fish; I'd say a 10 is too small for them actually and their schools should be filled out some but I wouldn't add more to a 10 gal.

Platys and mollys are rather messy fish. If you can save up and upgrade to a 30 gal you'd have more options for fish and can add to the barb and danio schools as well.

I actually have a 12 gallon tank

Mollies should be in at least a 20-30g. They get good sized and are poop machines. Most Livebearers have big bioloads for their size.

I would return the Molly for sure. 1 Platy should be ok. You are really pushing the limits on a 10g IME.

I have Celestial Pearl Danios in my 10g.
It's tough trying to mix and match. It's better for the long term health of Shoaling fish to have groups of 5 or more of the exact same species.

But we all start somewhere. I would not add fish for now. Move the Molly and let your fish grow.

Most LFS fish are juveniles, not full adults.

I loved my Cherry Barbs. Mine lived 5-7 years.

My platies aren't messy

Back
Top Bottom