10 gallon tank/ seeding a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkim1994

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i have a 20 gallon tank. Looks like the picture.

There was a sale 1$ a gallon so i picked up a 10 gallon.

I have an aquaclear 20 on the new tank I cut the sponge on my established tank in half and placed it in my new tank as well as a biobag from the established one. I also put 3 gallons of my main tanks water and a cup of its substrate.

Will this jump start the cycle? I was planning on putting a betta and some cory in the 10 gallon.

I have panda cory harlequin rasboras and cardinal tetras...

should i put some of the main tank fish in the 10 gallon so the bacteria have something to eat? which fish do i put in?

any advise? thanks

Attachments

• 10915290_817063075007135_7438486118646641093_o.jpg
    10915290_817063075007135_7438486118646641093_o.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 10969508_834915009888608_625742305_o.jpg
    10969508_834915009888608_625742305_o.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 80
That's awesome that you seeded your new tank.

I prefer a fish less cycle which is simple. You have seeded your tank now you just monitor the levels. You do that by dosing your tank with ammonia. The beneficial bacteria living in your filtration use this ammonia to grow and reproduce which in turn helps to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels to a minimum after the cycling process is complete.

There's also the fish-in cycle. I'd get a hardy species like danios if you choose that path. They basically supply the ammonia instead of you dosing it.then of course you monitor your levels. On the flip side you're exposing real fish to toxic levels.

There are guides on here to both types of cycling. I'll try to dig them up for you.

Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, this will greatly help you and to most is considered one of the "essentials" of fish keeping. I use an API Master Test Kit, they go for around $30 at Petsmart, or you can find them on Amazon.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

That's awesome that you seeded your new tank.

I prefer a fish less cycle which is simple. You have seeded your tank now you just monitor the levels. You do that by dosing your tank with ammonia. The beneficial bacteria living in your filtration use this ammonia to grow and reproduce which in turn helps to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels to a minimum after the cycling process is complete.

There's also the fish-in cycle. I'd get a hardy species like danios if you choose that path. They basically supply the ammonia instead of you dosing it.then of course you monitor your levels. On the flip side you're exposing real fish to toxic levels.

There are guides on here to both types of cycling. I'll try to dig them up for you.

Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, this will greatly help you and to most is considered one of the "essentials" of fish keeping. I use an API Master Test Kit, they go for around $30 at Petsmart, or you can find them on Amazon.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
i

i have the api tests for nitrate, nitrite, pH, & ammonia

I put my harlequins in the tank for now... ill test the parameters tom! hopefully itll be alright^^ I never seeded a tank before, hope i did it rigght!

i

i have the api tests for nitrate, nitrite, pH, & ammonia

I put my harlequins in the tank for now... ill test the parameters tom! hopefully itll be alright^^ I never seeded a tank before, hope i did it rigght!

Well time will tell how those fish do if your tank has not finished cycling. If it has not (likely) then you're putting them at risk because during the cycling process your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels fluctuate as your bacteria grows and strengthens to maintain balance. This can really stress your fish even to the point of death.

Definitely keep track of your readings.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Back
Top Bottom