10 gallon tank - who else can I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hluke2131

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi There! First post. I have a 10 gallon tank in the house (it's all the Mrs. will allow hah) for our 4 year old son to learn about/observe/enjoy. We've had it since August of '17 and take good care of it - clean thoroughly, cycle water regularly, etc. And all current inhabitants seem happy and healthy. Here's the current makeup of the tank (per recommendations of the local pet shop):

3 mollies (2 babies/toddlers, who were born in the fall, & 1 adult female)
1 clown pleco (who very rarely comes out of hiding)
1 Blue Dwarf Gourami (I think. If memory serves).

The boy and I would love to add one or two more fish, if possible, and a couple of shrimp (again, if possible). Can anyone make any recommendations, please?

There are plenty of hiding spots in the tank; some real drift wood; and some Marimo moss balls will be added later this week.

Please don't suggest a bigger tank--as much as I'd love to, I don't think it's in the cards yet--just looking for what I can add to our existing environment. Thanks so much everyone - psyched to be here!

I won't tell you to get a bigger tank but I will tell you that that tank is way overstocked. I wouldn't suggest any more fish unless you get a larger tank. We are glad to have you here. We will all be here to help you!
Just a word of warning small tanks are actually more work than a larger tank so watch it close. AQadvisor is a great site. Anytime you add fish go to that site and also I like to go to live aquaria and research each fish and their needs. Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

I understand tank limitations. Many of us are lucky enough to have multiple tanks or at least one large one but I totally get not being able to get a larger tank. I also understand what having a 4 year old actually invested and interested in things (I have 3 nieces, one is 4). Unfortunately, I think your tank is too overstocked. Mollies produce too much waste IMO to be in a tank smaller than 20 gallons and Gourami’s get too large and aggressive for a tank smaller than 20 gallons for my liking at least. I know people disagree and I also know that all of a sudden taking away your sons fish would suck for both of you, but your maintenance would kill you with the current stocking/setup. My nieces love my Guppies, they’re super active, the males are colorful, and they live well in a 10 gallon. After having Guppies, that’s always my go-to suggestion especially for smaller tanks because they’re so much fun! I hope this didn’t come across as rude, best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom