10 or 20 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright getting a new tank want to see what options I have. I had another thread but things have changed and it was just to confusing to keep up with. So here is my new, revised, detailed thread. Ill start with tank setup:

Semio Walstad style tank. I am not going to have a top on this tank it will be by a window with little to no extra light. I am using floramax as substrate (may throw in some gravel and left over ecocomplete and a handful of crushed coral for calcium). I am not planning on having any decor basically. I will have a piece of floating driftwood and several houseplants in the tank. I have pothos vine to hang in the tank (roots only obviously). I am gonna try some lucky bamboo tentatively. I am definetly gonna get some umbrella palm to add (again roots in substrate leaves above water). I also have an unidentified vine that will be going in. Water changes will be rare in keeping with walstad style.

Stocking wise here is what I was thinking:

*If the tank is 10 gallons:
Betta, snails, shrimp, kuhli loaches.
or
Pea puffers, shrimp, and snails
or
Scarlet Badis, shrimp, ottos, maybe something else?
or
crayfish

*If its a 20 long (all above ideas are still applicable):
Peacock grudgeons (not sure what to keep them with)
or
freshwater pipefish with red cherry shrimp
or
Glass catfish (with?)
or
crayfish

So thoughts ideas or suggestions are welcome. I am not limiting myself to the above ideas!

*I understand the rish of shrimp with other fish

Thanks in advance and God bless!

I like the idea with the pea puffers they look so cool!

With either tank size you could add a dwarf gourami for a centerpiece fish. But that rules out a beta and puffers.

I would personally do a dwarf gourami, some khuli loaches, and a couple other small fish of your choosin

I like the idea with the pea puffers they look so cool!

With either tank size you could add a dwarf gourami for a centerpiece fish. But that rules out a beta and puffers.

I would personally do a dwarf gourami, some khuli loaches, and a couple other small fish of your choosin

Thanks! So you think the puffers could handle the walstad style tank?

If you get the 20 long, you could keep some rasboras with the peacock gobies. I've kept freshwater pipefish and they might eat they young shrimp.

If you get the 20 long, you could keep some rasboras with the peacock gobies. I've kept freshwater pipefish and they might eat they young shrimp.

That is why I wanted shrimp with them. I have heard they are difficult to feed and thought the shrimplets would take care of that nicely :)

My favorite freshwater pipefish is microphis decota.

Yes those are pretty :) I was concerned with keeping them because of the maintenance routine. As I am going walstad style I plan to do walstad style maintenance....as in very little lol

I have a 10g freshwater community and I have 5 albino pristella tetras, 5 emerald dwarf rasbora danios and I had a baby female Betta but she died so I'm putting a dwarf gourami in her place. :) it's an amazing mix of colors.
I also have an empty 20gL that I plan to fill with:
6x hatchets
6x bleeding heart tetra
5x rummy nose tetra
4x kuhli loach

IMO these are the best Freshwater Communities you can get and still have fantastic colors, shapes and sizes with such a small tank :)

I have a 10g freshwater community and I have 5 albino pristella tetras, 5 emerald dwarf rasbora danios and I had a baby female Betta but she died so I'm putting a dwarf gourami in her place. :) it's an amazing mix of colors.
I also have an empty 20gL that I plan to fill with:
6x hatchets
6x bleeding heart tetra
5x rummy nose tetra
4x kuhli loach

IMO these are the best Freshwater Communities you can get and still have fantastic colors, shapes and sizes with such a small tank :)

Thanks! That is the hard part for me. Im stuck between a colorful comunity or a few mean looking fish to scavenge through the plant root systems.

Thanks! That is the hard part for me. Im stuck between a colorful comunity or a few mean looking fish to scavenge through the plant root systems.

I had that problem too but I went with colorful :) I enjoy it more and it's more relaxing.

I had that problem too but I went with colorful :) I enjoy it more and it's more relaxing.

I probably will as I have a tank for mean fish already lol if the floramax wasnt red I might would get scarlet badis in this tank instead of my 36 gallon :)

I personally would get a pipefish because they are really neat fish but if you've never kept picky eaters, I wouldn't get one

I personally would get a pipefish because they are really neat fish but if you've never kept picky eaters, I wouldn't get one

I have had scarlet badis which are supposedly picky but IME havent been. I am kinda stuck between pipefish and pea puffers. I have a tank that is going to be colorful schools already that I forgot about...

Ever had Panda Garra before. They are really neat. You could put those in your 20 gallon. But probably not your 10 gallon

Back
Top Bottom