100 percent water change :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also just a side note my friends father took me under his wing and taught me the art of aquariums he got me into it and helped me and told me all I need to know if someone told me yes and he said no I would go by his judgement I really respect him he told me I didn't need to water change, cycling can be a waste of money, and testing is an extra thing not essential I know it goes against a lot of you and I respect and appreciate every answer I get because I love this sight and appreciate my friendly people I meet but I have to go with his word...

Zimmanski said:
Those poor fish, and ew/gross/disgusting. Makes me sick, would you drink water that's been sitting out for 5 months? Or better yet, how would you like to live in a toilet your whole life? You need to keep the commitment you made or figure out an alternative solution, that's just cruel

Hasn't been sitting out.... Had a 20-40 gallon filter then upgraded to a fifty gallon filter (it broke) now a 25-45 gallon one a proper heater and light they aren't living in a toilet....... I never made a pwc commitment I committed to giving these fish a good home and they do just not a good quality atm WHICH IS WHY IM TRYING TO FIX IT!! And it has only been as bad as it is for about a month.... Four to five months ago I noticed a little cloudiness...

With all due respect, the person who took you under his wing cannot just ignore the nitrate cycle! Your water quality WILL be poor. Every aquarium needs a PWC, the frequency differs and if you get your set-up spot on it can be very infrequent; but it must be done!

It's nonsense to say you don't do water changes - look at what you called this thread. The guys here are trying to help you.

I suggest you buy a book!

I agree.. by no means do I want to offend you but even large aquariums must do water changes on their closed systems.. as you add food to the tank and its consumed by the fish or stuck somewhere as debris it begins to break down and enter the nitrogen cycle.. the end result of that cycle is nitrates which can be naturally removed through plants or anaerobic bacteria as gas but in our small home aquariums that isn't enough. You must remove the excess nutrients from the water or else it remains in the tank just building up higher and higher.. I mean seriously there is hard science proving all of this with literally over a hundred years of home aquarium keeping so I think you really need to consider buying a book or researching some information on the matter.

blert said:
LOL. I'm out of this one before I say something to get me in trouble.

+1 with my last comment I respectfully back out as your question has been answered and without taking it upon yourself to even try our reccomendations there is no further this thread can go so perhaps a mod should close this one.

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Neither of us test or do pwc I never have so I never have her do it either

WRONG

Before calling me cruel... Etc the tank I posted first that is super clear.... Never tested never done a water change... My 65 gallon saltwater never tested never done a water change (besides getting the salt level correct before adding fish)
So my ways are different? Yes! Are they perfect? No! Do I have great fish living a happy life? Yes! I am just having trouble with one tank! ONE.... Anyways no its just the sand... Same sand I use yes... And u have come to the conclusion it's a oh imbalance but obviously it's an assumption what is a bacterial bloom? And it was not cycled... (I don't do that either)

WRONG

Also just a side note my friends father took me under his wing and taught me the art of aquariums he got me into it and helped me and told me all I need to know if someone told me yes and he said no I would go by his judgement I really respect him he told me I didn't need to water change, cycling can be a waste of money, and testing is an extra thing not essential I know it goes against a lot of you and I respect and appreciate every answer I get because I love this sight and appreciate my friendly people I meet but I have to go with his word...

And your still wrong. A tank needs to me cycled. You need to do water changes and you need to test. If you don't believe in that then please just stop this nonsense.

This whole thread is ridiculous if you honestly think your right.

You my friend need to get educated...

That's all I'm gonna say.

Part of me is trying incredibly hard not to bust out laughing at the ridiculousness of your statements, the other part of me is completely dumbfounded and can't even begin to type what I would like to say to you.

This is like if I were growing up and one person kept telling me "the sky is green and the grass is blue", then a WHOLE BUNCH of educated people and science told me "no dude the sky is blue". I would be completely crazy and idiotic not to listen to the educated people wouldn't I? And yes, all aquariums are fish toilets(due to their need to defecate in them) and it is out job as the fish owner to do do PWC on a regular basis to "flush that toilet" because they can't do it themselves.

Do your fish a favor, do your own research, take all advice into consideration, and do what is right and what is needed by your pets.

If we were all in a cult I could see you drinking the "special" punch first.

I do understand nitrates and nitrites... I'm plenty educated I know it beneficial And yes .... You wanna be like that? Yes this thread does have water change not regular water changes though!! Don't try to throw this fact in my face... I did take what you said into consideration and told my friend today what you guys said and we both appreciated the answer!! You guys need to chill I have expressed that I don't do these thing previously on other thread but have not felt as attacked as I have felt through this one... And have had people say thing like " I really disagree with you but.... *insert helpful info on whatever topic the thread was on* ". Not things like "how cruel" " WRONG WRONG WRONG" " you need to be educated" go ahead mods.... Close the thread... Maybe next time some more friendly (and/understanding) would give me advice instead of ganging up and veering me over the head with the same post... Maybe I'll take a break from this sight... I have people I'm close with I can ask about this...
Josh... Out

Your still WRONG. I don't care what you say your NOT doing the right thing. So be "out"

No matter where you go nobody is gonna tell you your right!!

We were trying to help you and help you understand the importance of water changes and testing.

Sorry you don't you didn't hear what you wanted to hear like your doing everything right and everything will be just fine because your WRONG... Plan and simple.

Convict2161 said:
Your still WRONG. I don't care what you say your NOT doing the right thing. So be "out"

No matter where you go nobody is gonna tell you your right!!

Calm down dino no point for infractions to beat a dead horse... Can't help when its not wanted : /

Ok everybody, thanks for calming down a bit. :)
To the OP. I think I am a bit confused by your wording. So, do I understand correctly that your tank get water changes, just not on a regular schedule? Or are you saying that you just top off your tanks? Sorry, just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying before offering any advice, that's all.
As for your friend's tank, how is it looking now? I know it isn't yours and you did not tell your friend you would do maintenance one the tank. Is the tank doing any better? I have to agree that it looks like your friend's issue is from a lack of maintenance, not simple sand cloudiness. How does the tank look now? Are the fish doing ok?

I don't want to get myself into trouble but I have to agree with convict and angel here. I am also a bit confused as you said you had never done a water change. Yet later on you said that it wasn't a regular water change schedule? Which one is it?
With convict I agree that it is totally wrong on the poor fish, but I think it isn't all your fault. The friend who taught you misled you. He/she was obviously uneducated in looking after fish and has caused yourself real problems. But then the bit which is your fault is the fact that you haven't researched or taken most of the advice given here. There wasnt a need for some people to get involved but I do agree with them. It is like living in a toilet. And that saltwater tank will DEFINATLY need a wc . I understand you feel ganged up on and been pushed into a corner but we can't sugarcoat it for you. They are all telling the truth. Do small water changes over the course of 2 weeks . 25% a day would be good. Keep us informed.

please do partial water changes and get yourself an api freshwater master test kit. Their only $20, and look into a python or something equivelant. Best $ you can spend for an aquarium hands down. I'm super glad this thread HAS calmed down. I seen a couple posts that were just rediculous and should of never been posted. Do we need a refresher course in TALC? Back to the main point though, most of the people here are just trying to help you josh. But your always gonna have 1 or so that are gonna push your buttons. Best thing to do in that case, ignore them and let the fire burn out on its own. No need in fueling an unwanted fire. I hope that you get this post and haven't left AA for good!

Mrc8858 said:
If there are living fish in this tank most likely you will shock them with all the new clean water.. I would do daily 20% changes for a week or 2 and then stay on a 25+% water change every week

+1 to this post also. Very, very good point Mrc8858. I didn't even think of that.

Just when you think you have seen it all .

Ya I am stepping out of this thread and making no return. It just so sad to think that if there are no water changes what those fish are living in. I see poop sitting at the bottom of my tank, cleaned it not quiet a week ago and am going crazy to clean that out again for my little guys.

Anyways peace out. Good luck to you and your fish. And just a side note you can not come in here and say you never do a water change and not expect to get people's backs up. They take this hobby very seriously. I wish everyone who had fish did. :/

Well I'm sorry to say but your whole idea has a few major flaws in it.

Even the most basic under standing of water chemistry in your fish tank would allow you to understand why.

First of all if you have a tank with a filter your tank cycled. Whether or not you wanted to cycle it, it did. It's something that just HAPPENS whether you plan it to or not, it's not a choice we just make because we think testing and waiting is a fun time. What we CHOOSE is to be aware of what is going on within our little eco system. You're tank IS cycled. You just didn't know about the process and didn't remove or help the stresses it put on your fish.

Water changes are essential. Ammonia coverts to nitrite, nitrite to nitrate. This CAN NOT CONVERT. It doesn't get converted the only way it gets removed is through water changes. The same thing goes for buffers in your water. These won't last forever, they get used up and adding fresh water is the perfect way to get those back in there. Nitrate IS harmful to your fish. Less so than ammo or nitrite but it still buils up and needs to be removed with regularly. Cycling a tanak has NOTHING to do with money. A bottle of money is all you need. Or even cheap just do fish in, no money required.

Just because your fish SEEM ok, does not mean they are. They can't show you they aren't ok unless they start acting strange, most times at this point it's too late. Testing you water is key to pick up on these things before it's too late. Being exposed to horrible water conditions may not kill your fish right away. They may live their whole life with few issues but they won't live their full life, they will more than likely have their life cut short because of poor conditions.

People who keep little goldies in a bowl or 5 gallon tank that talk about how their fish did fine. They never got sick and lived a nice old age of 5 years. They think everything was fine and they did everything right. The reality is 5 years is nothing for a gold fish. The world record is something like 45 years! 10 years is still a low ball for the potential a golfish has. Most never meet this age or their full size(over 8 inches for some and over a foot for others). But no one knows, because they've listened to a friend or family member, or the great guy at the pet store. They've been doing it this way and it's been fine all along but the reality is it isn't. Do some reading and open your mind to what an animal needs and what you need to do to give it to them.

It's great your friends dad has a love for the hobby but his word isn't better than science. Just because you don't want the nitrogen cycle to happen doesn't mean it's not going to. Clear water does not make healthy water.

A bacterial bloom is harmless, it's the conditions that cause them that can be harmless when not handled properly.

Save the fish the stress and risk of killing them and start with small water changes. The PH has probably crashed because it's been 5 months in that tank. Once the PH crashes it stalls your cycle. Ammonia and nitrite can not be converted at a low PH. When a tank is not cycled it makes bacterial blooms easier to happen. It's very common in newer tanks for this reason. Slowly change out the water every couple days as mentioned above and slowly get those nitrates down and that PH up. Doing a 100% change at this point will shock the fish and most likely kill them.

I'm sorry if you take offense to what people are saying but we love this hobby. We've spent a lot of time researching and learning these things. To have someone who says they love the hobby just come here and try to disagree with facts that are completely proven through science just doesn't work. What you are doing is NOT ok for your fish. You can tell your self it if you want, we can't change your mind but disagreeing with us all doesn't change the fact of it all.

I hope you take us seriously here and really see the truth and importance of this all. I do.

Convict2161 said:
^^^^^^^^^^

Very Very well said...

Ya but one thing.. nitrates can be removed from the system without water changes. Not saying dont do them but you can almost create a full loop of the nitrogen cycle in home aquariums with plants and forms of anaerobic bacteria creating gasses thatll escape lowering nitrates. The use of refugiums on FW tanks can be extremely beneficial in nitrate removal.

Mrc8858 said:
Ya but one thing.. nitrates can be removed from the system without water changes. Not saying dont do them but you can almost create a full loop of the nitrogen cycle in home aquariums with plants and forms of anaerobic bacteria creating gasses thatll escape lowering nitrates. The use of refugiums on FW tanks can be extremely beneficial in nitrate removal.

^^^^

Very good point also. Matt... I'm just trying not to get in trouble lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom