100 % water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an undergravel filter (two pipes on two powerheads) if I do a 100% water chnage (water declorinated) will this harm my good bacteria in the filter. I.E new tank syndrome, or will my water and tank be fine ?

Not sure how this would effect your filter, but do you really have to do a 100% water change? Isn't 50% today then 50% tomorrow sufficient dilution of toxins?

I wanted to do it because of P.H. as the tank previously had bogwood in it and i am changing fish in it and dont water the colour water, as the wate ris tanned because of the bogwood.

I would think that if you do not disturb the substrate, and do not touch the filter media, you may be alright. The substrate and filter media and glass hold the majority of your bacteria so I would not think you would have much more than a mini cycle if that.

Are you saying the tank would be ok or it wouldnt lol :|

It means that you have your heart set on changing it all so at least leave the gravel, filter and glass alone and only change the water. Do not try to clean it all at the same time. You need to leave the bacteria alone. You will probably still have some water under the ugf, and get some Prime so that if you have a mini spike in ammonia you will be ready. Put in some fresh carbon to help with your mini cycle in case you have one.

If you wanted to go that extreme, I would suggest a few 50% changes over the course of a week, maybe 75% at most to be safe.

well do you wanna get rid of the gravel filter and have a hob?

Would it not be a good idea to remove the bogwood, allow the filter to run for a few days and perform a couple of water changes during this time?

The color will definitely disappear within a few days.

remember you want a stable ph.if you decrease it to quick you can stress you fish or worst!

You run the risk of killing your bacteria if you do that big of a change. It's better to do more frequent smaller changes than one huge one. Space it over a few days.

Thats what I mean ther are no fish in it now ! ..... therefore i am only thinking bout the bacteria. Fish will be added when it is stable and fit for fish. The fish that were in it have been removed.

from what I know about removing color from the water there is an easier way than a 100% wc.
First remove the bogwood.
2. do 50% water change
3. add activated carbon to the filter
4. do 50% water change on second day.
continue water changes untill color is gone.
remove carbon from filter.

One other thing to remember is that with no fish there is no bio-load on your filter thus nothing to keep the bacteria alive. I would add some fish maybe on the third day and just a few smaller, hardy fish to help keep the bacteria alive so you don't got through a cycle again. HTH

Back
Top Bottom