10g fish ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irish.OG87

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've set up a 10g tank for my 7yr old boy. When we went to the fish store he picked 6 gold white cloud minnows. Checking aqadvisor.com it says it wud only be 63%stocked. Since the white clouds are top dwellers I would like to get some other fish too fill the bottom our middle of the tank. Any ideas would be great, thanks.
Here is a pic of his tank:
http://imgur.com/Pl8Qp

I've set up a 10g tank for my 7yr old boy. When we went to the fish store he picked 6 gold white cloud minnows. Checking aqadvisor.com it says it wud only be 63%stocked. Since the white clouds are top dwellers I would like to get some other fish too fill the bottom our middle of the tank. Any ideas would be great, thanks.

White clouds, unfortunately, need a larger tank as they are very active. Some guppies(all males, maybe 2 or 3) and a single male platy with ghost shrimp would be a fun tank, though.

What if I gave him my neon's instead for the white clouds, neon's would be fine in a 10g I would think. Also guppys? I'm not a huge fan of those fish mainly they breed like rabbits, so in a 10g they would overcrowd and have my bioload in overdrive. This This just my opinion and I've never had these fish just read about them. Ideally a shoaling group, centerpiece and bottom dwellers would be perfect..can this be done in a 10g?

Might not be what you're looking for but a betta is never a bad centerpiece!

I have some cherry barbs in my tetra tank and they stay on the bottom.

A cool think wild be a honey gourami or female betta do centerpiece! Then Pygmy Cory's for the bottoms

I'd hate to steal the thunder away from my gf because a betta is what she wants to get. The dwarf gouramis wouldn't be a bad idea since there is some that are the color orange which is my sons fav. color.
pygmy cories, dwarf gourami and a wee shoaling crowd...neons too much I gather?

A cool think wild be a honey gourami or female betta do centerpiece! Then Pygmy Cory's for the bottoms

Hi! You could do a dwarf gourami OR a female betta! Both good options! If you got 4 Pygmy Cory's and you could do 6 galaxy rasboras, 6 ember tetras, or 6 misqueto fish! All somewhat hard to find though..

I'd hate to steal the thunder away from my gf because a betta is what she wants to get. The dwarf gouramis wouldn't be a bad idea since there is some that are the color orange which is my sons fav. color.
pygmy cories, dwarf gourami and a wee shoaling crowd...neons too much I gather?

DGs need 15 gallons. What about a sparkling gourami or scarlet Badis? Guppies do breed like crazy, which is why I suggested all males.

I've always wanted a scarlet badis, but they are quite shy and supposedly not good in community tanks. Supposeavly they do ok with anabantoids fish...

They do well in a nano tank! Mabye, and this couldbe overstocked,
3 scarlet badis(1m 2f)
4 Pygmy Cory's, 6 galaxy rasboras

They do well in a nano tank! Mabye, and this couldbe overstocked,
3 scarlet badis(1m 2f)
4 Pygmy Cory's, 6 galaxy rasboras

Yeah, that'd be over stocked.

But you could do this:

Scarlet Badis pair or trio
A School of glass catfish
some cherry shrimp.

I read that Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario) actually do better in a species only tank, so you want to keep other shy fish with them, so tetras and rasboras are too active.

For the trouble of 2-3 badis I might as well get a single dwarf gourami.
Add 4 pygmy cories and then find some small shoal group.. I figured neon's were the smallest shoal fish?

Neons are small, but very active, they should have a bigger tank. I also guess that a female betta is better than a gourami

I got it..1 honey gourami, 6 dwarf rasboras and 4 pygmy cories...BOOM!!
No compatibility issues all good.

The only issue I see is overstocking. I'd say weakly 50% water changes, Mabye a 25% bi weekly. Also, still consider a female betta over the gourami. I'd also say a zebra nerite snail

I got it..1 honey gourami, 6 dwarf rasboras and 4 pygmy cories...BOOM!!
No compatibility issues all good.

Overstocked.

11 fish in 10 gal, bigger than an inch. Now, im not using the 1 inch per gallon rule, but I would say get rid of one if the shoals and replace the gourami with something else. Whats wrong with the badis numbers? Seems easy enough to me....

Badis and a shoal of something..not too eager on the glass catfish. Any suggestions preferably with some color?

Back
Top Bottom