10g for $5.99! Quarantine tank ?'s.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just scored a sweet 10g at Goodwill for $5.99 (with lighted lid too)! So, my purpose of the post is not just to brag :brows:, but to talk about a quarantine tank. I haven't previously had one, i just have my one 29g. I already have a spare heater and decorations, but i need to buy a new filter for it. So, taking suggestions on a new filter system. Also opinions on how to properly use a quarantine tank (since this is my first, don't know exactly what to do with it). Also can it double as a hospital tank too? Or is that the same thing? :huh:

My local fish friend, said i should quarantine all new fish for 4-6 weeks to make sure that they don't have anything to pass on to the other fish.

Reagan

p.s.-posting a pic on the next reply, b/c it's easier to do that with my phone

Wow.! That is a steal. Congrats
Quarantine tanks could double as a hospital tank but they probably shouldn't be used as both at once. As long as you use activated carbon and pwc's to remove meds before doing any quarantine.

So just get a filter that has carbon in it? Like the aqua clear? That is what i have on my 29g. So, do you quarantine new fish when you get them? If so, how long?

wow nice! I can't give you much advice about the quarantine tank, but I do suggest you do a leak test since you bought it used. It'd be a bummer to set it up to find that it's leaking!

a simply yet effective way of filtering the tank is simply use a air powered sponge filter, this will provide ample Biological filtration and low running . If you purchase two sponges you can have
One in the 10 gal , whilst the other is seeding in another mature tank or filter.

After you have quarenteen , Should you need your tank as a hospital tank take out sponge and add the seeded sponge from mature tank and add medication as required.

Boil the first sponge and seed in filter again.

When you have finished medication simply do a
100% water change with a clean getting rid of any mess in the water. fill and add seeded sponge. Boil the second sponge and seed again.

Not only will this reduce running cost but ensure you always have a good seeded media. As you wouldnt want to quarenteen and hospitalise with the same filter just in case you spread something

Also should you not be using the tank you can shut it down knowing you have seeded media waiting so youcan just add water,

Hope this makes sense I have written in a hurry sorry.

It makes enough sense to start with! I'm just not at all familiar with a air powered sponge filter, but your logic sounds great. That seems to be the best way to go so i can quickly switch from healthy fish to unhealthy fish--if i needed to.

Does amazon.com have the filter you speak of? Is seeding a term or a thing?

I use an AquaClear 30 on my 10g quarantine tank. For quarantine I just run w/ sponge and biomax (saving the carbon in case I ever have to use it as a hospital tank.) IMHO the AC 30 is perfect for a 10g.

I like this one because you can use it with an airstone or a powerhead. I'm using it in my hospital tank right now.

Sponge filters really are great. They have a huge area for bb colonies and you dont have to worry about any of your smaller creatures getting sucked into an intake like fry or tiny invert hatchlings.

The sponges come in various shapes, designs and sizes, as long as you get the minimum size for the tank it wouldn't matter if you got bigger tho.

I use them on all of my holding/fry tanks I even have large versions in my breeding tanks the are basis but very efficient. They are also fairly cheap and secondhand ones would also be ok as long as they are boiled first.

The problem with a Hob or other filters is unless you clean/ replace your filter/media every time you switch from quarenteen to hospital, you risk contamination of parasites and disease.

With the sponge filters you can have cheap running media ready to go each time you need it. And you can shut down the tank I between . You don't have to keep it running costing money and you don't have to worry about feeding the bacteria. When the tank is not in use.

How many time are you likely to use as a quarenteen or a hospital?????

How many time are you likely to use as a quarenteen or a hospital?????

That's a good point. Do you think i should just set up another tank instead of having a Q or hospital? Maybe i could even find a 5g for that. Hmm..something to consider.

Back to the basics here, if i choose to set up a whole new tank with the 10g, how long does it need to cycle and what should i put in it while it's cycling? I was given my current 29g fully cycled (i adopted my neighbors year+ tank), and so now i'm new to cycling. And after it does cycle, suggestions on fish should i get? I want something different from what i have now (mollys, platys, tetras--all the beginner fish). :) Thanks!

RaygunK said:
That's a good point. Do you think i should just set up another tank instead of having a Q or hospital? Maybe i could even find a 5g for that. Hmm..something to consider.

Back to the basics here, if i choose to set up a whole new tank with the 10g, how long does it need to cycle and what should i put in it while it's cycling? I was given my current 29g fully cycled (i adopted my neighbors year+ tank), and so now i'm new to cycling. And after it does cycle, suggestions on fish should i get? I want something different from what i have now (mollys, platys, tetras--all the beginner fish). :) Thanks!

It is nice to have when you need a qt tank I have only used mine twice as a qt tank and once as a hospital tank. If you have a big tank meds can cost a ton. I would use the ten as a qt/hospital tank imo
What I do is it sits empty when I need it I siphon the water out of my other tank to make it easy

I know it's been a while since anyone replied to this thread, but I would recommend a fishless cycle. If you can, use the filter cartridge in your 29 to increase the speed of your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom