Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2014, 01:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

10g High Tech Questions

Hello,
First post here, wondering if I could pick your guys brains.
I am starting my second tank (quickly becoming an addiction) and I had a few questions in regards to stocking.
My first tank is a 75 gallon planted, and its doing fantastic. Now I decided to do a high-tech 10 gallon with high light plants. My flora is microsword, java fern, red tiger, and HC. I'm going to stock celestial pearl danios. I also want to add about 4 red cherry shrimp and 2 otos.

I have a few questions:
1. I have heard Otos need larger spaces, but they do such a good job on my 75 gallon that I couldn't imagine having a tank without them. They clean my glass and my plants so well. Has anyone had success keeping them in smaller tanks?
2. If I go ahead with my plan of 2 otos and 4 RCS, how many celestial pearl danios could I keep? I was thinking 6, but if I could safely keep 8-10 I would be a very happy man . I have access to them with no problem through my LFS who will order anything I want.

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You should do fine with 8 CPDs in a well planted 10 gallon. I have four otos and five glowlights plus a DG in a planted low tech 10 gallon and everyone is thriving. Water params have always stayed in check with no problems provided I keep up with my water changes, which is 30% every three days.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

10g High Tech Questions

10 CPDs in a heavily planted 10g would be fine IMO, with room to spare. I had 11 clown killies, 2 otos, and a colony of 50~ RCS in my very heavily planted 10g and never had a problem with parameters (did 50% once every 7-10 days). Be careful with the red tiger lotus in a 10g as they can take over and shade other plants very quickly. For the java fern I'd recommend a smaller leaf variety like narrow leaf, thread leaf, Philippine, etc (sorry I know you didn't as for plant advice but couldn't resist).

Tags
high tech, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com