10g new tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoolin619v

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I been reading a lot on cycling the tank with fishes. Here are my set up.
10g tank, heater, lights that came with the 10g tank, prime water conditioner, api water tester, aquaclear 30 power filter with fluval bio media etc. My question is how many hardy fish can I start out with? planning to get either guppies or zebra danios.

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome! I wouldn't put danios in a 10 gal; they're active fish and need more swim room. This is true for most danios and tetras. You could do a couple of guppies; if you get different genders though they'll likely breed. A 10 gal tank is harder to stock b/c it's smaller and there aren't as many options for fish. Your best bet really would be to do a fishless cycle and then spend some time researching good stock options. Here's a guide if you haven't seen it yet; it has info on the various methods of cycling too: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

If you REALLY want fish NOW, the number of fish to cycle that 10g with would be 1. Fishless cycling requires less monitoring and few water changes, unlike cycling with fish. Fish-in cycling can be done, and is a normal, acceptable method to cycle a tank, but it requires a strict monitoring and water change schedule to keep your fish from dying. There's a great article about it on here, but I can't link it on my phone.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom