10g QT Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

Waiting on a spongefilter in the mail to set up a 10g QT Tank. I'll run the spongefilter on my 20g tank to get the bacteria going on the sponge. Then I'll swap it to the 10g tank when needed. My question...would a betta be enough to keep the tank cycled if I'm just running a sponge filter on it? I think a betta would work well because I'd be able to remove it and place it in a smaller tank, etc when I need the QT. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Are you talking about putting the Betta in the 10 gal instead of putting the sponge filter back in the 20 gal after use? IMO a betta isn't going to produce much waste in a 10 gal tank to be useful.

You could keep the sponge over the intake of the main tank, thereby always colonized and ready to transfer. Might need an adapter or two to make it work. Or Just keep the sponge running in the 20 gal tank when the QT is not in use? Sterilize it before putting it back in the 20 gal tank after use in the QT. I have used el-cheapo corner filters with media removed fom the main tank with success as well. No need for the Beta at all.

http://home.wowway.com/~tomstank/index_files/page0019.htm

Back
Top Bottom