10gal Finally set up! *pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today was offically the last day of class for the summer quarter at the university of cincinnati, so i did what any exhausted, broke college student/aquarium geek would do....spend money!! and spend i did :)

there is a new aquarium adventure store that opened up three weeks ago and i had heard good things about them, so i had to make it out there asap. wow, was i impressed. that's an understatement, really. just the number and diversity of aquariums and stands was awesome, like nothing i've seen in a local cincinnati store before. so i walk back to the fish and think, this is soooo nice! for the first time ever, i got a chance to see royal farowellas swimming around in groups! big groups of almost every fish you could ever want, even the freshwater rays that were about 7" in diameter. and the plants...that's what really got me. for the first time, there was actually a good choice of extremely high quality (dare i say, show quality?) plants. FORTY PERCENT OFF!! you can't beat that with a louisville slugger. so i grabbed up a couple bunches of lilaeopsis novae-zela, ludwigia repens, a crypt wendtii, and some water sprite. i had no reservations buying more than i thought the tank would allow b/c the prices were so good. next up: a new fish...

i had been trying so hard for the longest time to find somebody locally that sells bulldog plecos. i absolutely love plecos, but most of them get too big, like my common pleco right now. so there at aquarium adventure, right by the plants were three tanks of bulldog plecos. for me, it didn't get any better than that. i was in aquarium geek heaven. next up: driftwood...

i had walked over to the decorations section and only found some massive pieces of driftwood that wouldn't even fit in my 85gal. kinda disappointing. or at least, it was until i walked over to to the section where the actual tanks and stands were on sales. each tank had a few pieces of driftwood in it that were for sale and clearly priced. i went row by row studying the pieces until i found the right piece. there had been a particular shape and form that i wanted for the 10gal, but i seriously don't think i could have designed a better piece than what i found. it was perfect malaysian driftwood at a reasonable price. i was set. time to go home.

while floating the bulldog, i started taking out the plants that were already in the aquarium...the java fern, anubias, and rotala indica. i cleaned off the driftwood and began attaching the fern and anubias to it with rubber bands (which i prefer.) yadda yadda yadda, an hour later i have a very very nice planted tank set up that needs a 50% water change and tests done to determine what fertilizers are needed. only problem, my python can't reach from the hall bathroom to the 10gal. that was kind of a bummer, but my DVD copy of Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism came in the mail while i was gone, so i popped that into the computer and watched that. about a half hour into the documentary, the doorbell rings. UPS guy with my python extension, flourish iron and excel, and my rio 50. things just couldn't get any better, let me tell you. :D i'm like a pig in...well...i'll let that one go.

here are some pics from today:

here is the tank:

all i have to do now is wait from the lilaeopsis to grow out. any suggestions on whether or not i should separate it more? it came in two nice sized clumps but i divided them up (obviously)...

that is awesome! I almost went to UC when I was checking out colleges. Well, actually I did visit, but I was disappointed with all the contruction (yeh yeh yeh, I know, basing colleges on athstetics...actually, I changed career goals so it ended up for the better). I'm also a huge Reds fan (my mom is from Ohio, so I get it from her). Anyway, getting back on track, great looking tank, wish I had a store like that around here in my mountain country of N.C. :D

Looking good Burns. Enjoy the time off before next semester (with your hands in tanks and nose pressed to glass). :wink:

i'm actually taking fall quarter off. i'll have plenty of time to perfect the dosing of this tank, which i'll need b/c i totally screwed up the phosphate dosing tonight... the fert calc automatically defaults to a tank size of 90 gallons and i forgot to change it to 10gal.... basically my phosphate reading tomorrow should be about 2ppm :roll:

Burns,

As I'm sure you already know, make sure you do some WC's to get that Phos below 1. Other wise a huge BGA problem is looming closely. Calced a 10g using a 90g formula. Thats gotta put your Phos over 5.

I once got the bright idea :idea: to put some organic super concentrated house plant food into my first planted tank. Needless to say, I had about every kinda algae bloom possible. I think I even might have created a couple of new species. 8O It took me weeks of daily water changes, lotsa prunning, scrapping and more cussing than I care to admit to get that tank straightened out. It was a lesson I'll never forget :oops:

Mojo Troll said:
Burns,

As I'm sure you already know, make sure you do some WC's to get that Phos below 1. Other wise a huge BGA problem is looming closely. Calced a 10g using a 90g formula. Thats gotta put your Phos over 5.
i've already done one today. i'll give it about an hour and do another one, then another before i go to work. i took the aquarium calculator and set the default tank to 10g and make a note to -always- check that. live and learn...

actually, i reworked some things with the aquarium calculator. i created two directories, one for the 10gal and one for the 85, each with its own shortcut in the start menu and each with its own config file. now, i'll never have this problem again!

yeah really nice. one thing. you need some red :). you can go to like walmart and buy some dwarf lillies. their like 3 for about 5 bulbs (and they grow like CRAZY :multi: )or some other red plant, but even with the lillies yours looks alot better :oops:

i have ludwigia repens in the back left corner... it has a bit of red to it, but doesn't come through well with the pictures. i'm debating whether or not i should increase my lighting to 3.6wpg. i may go ahead and do that once i get more consistent and comfortable with dosing this tank.

I've got ludwigia in two different tanks, one with 2.5 wpg, the other with 1.5-2 wpg, and I've noticed the ludwigia is greener in the brighter tank. I bought all of it at the same time, from the same bunch, so I know it is def. the lighting.

well...not necessarily. :)

what are the nitrate readings for those tanks? many of the 'red' plants react differently to different nitrate levels.

btw, thanks for all the compliments. this is actually my -first- true planted tank. my 29gal was sorta planted, but nothing serious and it all had to come out because the pleco was destroying everything. i guess all the research has really paid off. some more pictures will come in a few weeks.

i just figured out how to make videos with my camera, so here's a quick (dumb) one... soundtrack courtesy of nofx (i didn't know it recorded sound too.)

file size is about 6.75mb, AVI format. i don't have anything to compress it or change formats, sorry...
http://onsidered.envy.nu/fish/082904.avi (right click and save as)

Back
Top Bottom