110 gal Cichlid problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hope I posting this in the correct area still new to this forum. So. I had a 13" tiger shovel nose that I decided I wanted to move to a place that he would be better suited ( I found him a home). I love cichlids (mbuna) I have had them before. Jessie (my wife) loves their color and the way they interact. Sooo I digress. The tank had been running for about 2 years I removed the cat and did a 50% water change I relocated him. In the tank were a 6" jack dempsy an 8" Oscar (I adopted him he was gonna get flushed) an a convict. I added to the tank (on Sunday) 4 mbuna all about 2" and 2 2" bala sharks (I know how big they get and I have a plan but the wife liked them happy wife happy life) then last night I added 2 more mbuna 2" a 3" pictus cat another bala and a common pleco 3" (yes I know they get large) so my problem started this morning. All and I mean all of the fish were breathing very hard and 1 mbuna was laying on his side breathing very very hard. Well not being new to this I checked levels and all were in check (test strips) I know they are not accurate but it's what I had my API test kit is currently enroute. I added another air pump with a large air stone and did a 40% water change. Well the mbuna that was laying down is now swimming around like normal and all fish seem to be acting normal also. Breathing rates have returned to somewhat normal and they were eating. Like I said not a newbie but this has me puzzled. I run 2 large canister filters (not sure on the make but they were filtering 2 110 gallons before I got them now they are filtering 1 110 gallon) so filtration shouldn't be an issue and I have 2 air pumps with 3 large air stones. Water ten is around 77-80. Any insight would be awesome. I don't think in over stocked I had 16 mbuna in a 37 gallon before (OVERSTOCKED) and didnt have this issue. Thanks y'all. Btw I taking a water same to my lfs after work today. Thanks y'all.

Any one? Could really use some insight here. Thanks!

Well that's a possibility. Unfortunately the strips I have didn't test for it. I have a API on order I am stopping at my lfs on my way home for the full gamut of testing. Thanks!!

Yah, I would just keep up on 40% wc's, not saying it's that for sure but just to be safe.

Brookster. How often ya think? Every other day?

How many days? I was thinking 3 weeks every other day.

I would do daily changes until you rule out ammonia, how soon are you getting the test kit?

I have a natural well no additives and yes I have been.

Perhaps you are going through a mini cycle from adding the new fish? You won't be able to tell until your API test kit comes in, but that seems to be a strong possibility to me. I agree on doing daily water changes until the problem corrects itself. :)

Well here's an update. After the water change this morning all are well. I stopped at me lfs on my way home. Ph was waaaay low. It wasn't affecting my old tank inhabitants due to the fact that it was a gradual drop in ph. The new guys however were affected. Solution was just as prescribed by y'all. Looks like water changes every other day for a while till I get things back in line. Thanks y'all for all y'all's help!!
Hutty.

Yes. Operator error. It was early morning and I panicked. My fault.

The test kit should be here Friday. I ordered it prior to the mishap or else I would have night one earlier today. I feel like such a dummy right now.

These things happen man, all's well that ends well, the reason I went right to ammonia is because I neglected to test one of my tanks and lost one of my favorites to an ammonia burn. It can happen fast!

Oh that sucks bro. I hear ya. Honestly I had the tsn so long and I was away from mbuna for a while. I forgot I honestly forgot to to my well fishy checks. I just assumed and then bang like a hammer I almost lost em. I'm onto my 3rd water change in 48 hours. Honestly my tank was screwed by the tsn. They are sooo messy. I became complacent. I won't let that happen again. I appreciate all the help and I hope I can help when needed. Thanks again.
Hutty

image-1802632528.jpg

image-1810138428.jpg

Thanks! A little cloudy from refill but alls well!!

Back
Top Bottom