12 gallon community tank stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daubentonia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! So I had a fully stocked 12 gallon aquarium but over time the fish have died out and now all that is left is a female black phantom tetra. I want to restock the tank, but I need keep the single tetra in there. I am looking for some suggestions for stocking ideas, I would be fine with a community tank or adding another phantom tetra and getting a center piece fish. Any ideas at all would be helpful. The tank is a 12 gallon eclipse set up.
Thanks in advance!:thanks:

A small school of rummy nose tetra would look good. and of course a small school of neon or cardinal tetra would look nice. You could put about three cory cats in the tank, they are really cool little fish and they spawn readily in clean water. add another phantom tetra and your set. All these will get along good and be active and fun to watch.

A small school of rummy nose tetra would look good. and of course a small school of neon or cardinal tetra would look nice. You could put about three cory cats in the tank, they are really cool little fish and they spawn readily in clean water. add another phantom tetra and your set. All these will get along good and be active and fun to watch.

That's the problem. There's too many schools of too many active fish. I own both of the schools suggested and I would never put them in anything else than a 20g. The rummys are so fast I can't get a photo of them. And the phantom tetra would need a school. You could do:
1 sparkling gourami
6-8 ember tetra or chilli rasbora
4 Pygmy Cories
Lots of shrimp.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a school of cardinals and rummy nose in my 60 gallon discus tank so I would prefer something different. I like the idea of Cories, shrimp and school of smaller tetra. I would probably have to buy the shrimp online (my LFS only gets a few RCS in stock and for a larger order they can get pricey), anyone know a good place?

For rcs, check the classifieds here. There are a few people who frequently have them. :)
In addition to what samtzer said, there are also dwarf anchor catfish, otos, a whole handful of micro rasboras, jellybean tetras, green neons, a dwarf gourami, female betta, and more. Your one black phantom should be fine. Since they are not true schoolers, they seem to do fine on their own IME. And you will not have an aggressive tank anyways.

Back
Top Bottom