120 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TH2013

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

I am back into the hobby after a few years. I used to have an account on here however I can't remember the log in. Anyways long story short I used to have a beautiful 35 gallon reef. It cost me a fortune to get up and runnning and once it leaked and crashed I gave up on the hobby. A few years have passed and I would like to get back into it, but with something that is a little bit less work, and much less cost. I have posted a similar thread in the salt section as well so I can make a decision, but I was hoping you guys could help me out with a few questions I have and put in your own two cents! I loved being part of this community ten years ago, and I can't wait to get back into the hobby!

So to the details. Currently in my possession I have a 120gallon tank, with stand, a few powerheads and about 80 pounds of dead live rock. I am on the fence between doing a FOWLR salt tank, a Cichlid tank, or a planted tank. I am looking for something that is low cost once set up, less maintenance than the reef and visually appealing.

A few questions:

1. At the back of my house I have a 3 season sun room. It is mostly windows, but I will be insulating it this year. I would like to put the tank against the window. If necessary I will even cut out the window and put in something to make it look built in. On the opposite side of the window is our BBQ, patio and hot tub area. I think it would be really awesome to be able to sit out in the backyard and enjoy the fish tank. Does anybody have any ideas on how this could be done? I don't think sunlight will be an issue, because the window is covered by an awning so it should be too much of a problem, but I am worried about the temperature swings. I line in Ontario, Canada, where in the winter we get down to 0 degrees and in the summer in the 90s often.

2. Does anybody here have experience with reef, fowlr AND cichlid tanks? I am naive to think that a Cichlid tank will be much less work and cost effective than a FOWLR and reef tank? Do you find that Cichlid tanks are just as enjoyable to watch? What I loved about my reef was I could sit and see something new happening all the time. It was wonderful to sit with my kids. Do you guys find this with a Cichlid tank or a planted tank?

Thank you all for your time in reading this! I am very excited to be back!

Experiences vary with how interested the rest of the family is with YOUR hobby.

If it becomes their hobby too, you have the group which usually wants different things/ has their own special favorites.

I have a great 72G planted (cooler side tropical not over 78F) tank with Neons as the major focal point. There is a black background and the fish really look great. Every one loves seeing it.

Older pic when there were Angels
60074-albums11380-picture57008.jpg

This pic is a little overexposed but you get the idea. More calm looking without the extra light and the neon stripes really glow.
60074-albums11380-picture71782.jpg

I don't keep Angels any more - They finally got really large and were eating Neons.

There are a few special things I usually keep in there which holds different interests.

And some things have changed over time. Some moved on to different homes, some passed and some have gone to different tanks.

The white crayfish was a huge favorite. Had some freshwater clams. Had Bamboo shrimp. Had Hilstream Loaches. Had Boesemani and Turquoise Rainbow fish. Had a gorgeous male Pearl Gourami.

Tank parameters/temps and things needed adjustments depending upon differing inhabitants.

I have nano SW tanks and love them with the inverts. Pom Pom crabs, sexy shrimp, all kinds of Snails, Rock Flower Anemones, tiny tubes, mini brittle stars, pods and some corals and some Black Codium.

Small is great because you really get to see the tiny inhabitants.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I had a long debate with a friend last night trying to come up with the decision. What I have decided is to do a freshwater tank Cichlid tank. The cost of maintaining a Salt tank is just more than I am will to spend right now, and I think I can get something that looks nice with Cichlids.

I will post something very soon on the setup and how it is going!

I am still very worried about the window being so close, so I guess time will tell if that will be an issue.

You can add something to block light if it is on a side. If it is light to the front then just do good amounts of pwc to export excess nutrients, use a curtain maybe a split photo period on the tank lights. And a minimal time. And get a good scraper :)

I'm not too worried about the algae to be honest, more worried about the temperature fluctuation from the window. In the summer the room can be very hot, and in the winter we get ice on the windows. I will be insulating the room this spring which I think will help with both scenarios, but I want to get the tank as seamless to the window as possible. I want to have the display possible outside of the room too.
With such a large amount of water, how quickly does the temperature adjust? Even if the glass against the window gets cold, will the water hold its temperature fairly steady?

Back
Top Bottom