120g Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone! Been a while. I've been traveling almost every week for work this year which has made my 120g project very slow. Which, actually is probably for the best. I started off early this year (like...February :p) setting the tank up with some black skirts and red eyes. I'm sorry to say that due to my poor track record of keeping the tank fed, most of the red eyes perished over the summer. (To be fair...I'm just not home during the week.) So I got a pretty nice autofeeder on there to take care of that issue. And really in the past 6 months, my tank has just been looking great. Here's what I have:

10 Black Skirts
11 - 15 Neons (yeah, you try and count them ;) )
2 Red Eyes (might bring this school back up to 10)
2 Fancy Guppies

And my most recent additions that I'm must excited about, 4 Koi Angelfish. They've been the planned center piece of this tank for a while. Obviously I'm sticking very close to a South American themed tank. And yes, I realize that the neons & angels are potentially a meal waiting to happen. I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. I think I'm quite understocked still but not sure exactly would make this tank full.

Equipment wise, I'm running a Fluval FX-5.

Some thoughts I've had about more tankmates include:

A school of cory cats (definitely happening)
A school of red eyes (probably)

I've considered some GBRs but not sure if that's smart to mix with the angels. A single pair might be ok I suppose.

Other than that, I'm open to suggestions of what people think might go well here.

I think your very understocked and have all the potential in the world right now.

I like your list mainly because im a fan of black skirts (first fish i ever had) I have had great success with gold barbs which i think get a bad wrap because of their barb name, but ive had mine with everything from rams to betta fish and theyve done great.

I really like giant danios just for the movement and in a 120 a nice school of them would look cool.

Good luck and post a pic when your done.

I have to say that black skirts that are healthy are just vibrant fish. They definitely have a brilliant pearlescence. They school really well too. When I got them to cycle the tank they were pretty drab looking but they've really become a fish I'm very happy to keep in there.

Golden barbs are very pretty but more of a cool water fish. I think my tank is going to be a bit too warm for them. I really am going to try and stay with the South American fish. I could see myself setting up another tank for the asian fish (which I actually have very little experience with just because I usually have African or SA tanks) but that basically eliminates cyprinids ;)

I wouldn't mind keeping some killifish but I'm not sure what species come from south america. I also am not sure what my upper limit on fish should be :D

Back
Top Bottom