125 Gallon Aquarium Winter Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently obtained a used 125 gallon aquarium that I'm in the process of refurbishing. This is going to be a new setup for me, basically beginning from scratch. I'd like to set it up as a Central/South American tank. It's going to have black substrate, rock/driftwood hardscape, and South American plant species. I currently have a 65 gallon tank that is set up in a somewhat similar manner with several tetra species, angelfish, sterbae cories, and a couple of different pleco species.

I'd like to keep some larger schools of Tetras, scavengers, and angels. All of this will be gradual after the tank "seasons" (how's that for an old school term). I'd like to add another cichlid species and was thinking about either Amatitlania sajica (T-bar cichlid) or Andinoacara pulcher (Blue acara).

My question is whether these will get too large for my proposed tankmates? In a 125, How many can I keep together? I'm really wanting something like these to be a "featured" species. I'd appreciate any advice, suggestions, or recommendations. Thanks.

I’d suggest going to the aqadvisor site and plugging all the information into the calculator and you’ll get a pretty good idea of the quantity of different fish you can safely keep. As with anything, it’s just a guideline so take it with a grain of salt

But it is a pretty good calculator to use when you start mixing different breeds as it will point out possible compatibility issues and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom