Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

125 gallon tank stocking

Okay everyone I really need some suggestions on stocking and some help picking out some fish. So I am acquiring a 125 gallon tank this coming weekend. I have got out of the fish tank game a while ago but im diving back in! So for filtration im getting 1 sun sun canister filters rated for 765 gph. And a hob filter probably an emperor 400. As far as stocking goes im thinking one of these 3 options.

Option 1
1 tiger oscar
1 convict cichlid
5 silver dollars
5 clown loach

Option 2
1 tiger oscar
2-3 syno cats
1 severum
5 silver dollars

Option 3
1 tiger oscar
1 severum
1 blood parrot
1 convict cichlid

Or please throw out some different options to! Thank you all in advance

Old 07-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So I'm generally new so take this advice with a grain of salt. From what I've researched If you want to do convict cichlids, do only convicts.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No worries im glad you came here i have kept convict cichlids with many fish in the past. Like oscars, featherfin catfish, silver dollars, jack dempseys and plexus. A breeding pair of cons is a dangerous combo but convicts are not all they are cut out to be, red devils, midas, red terrors, flowerhorns those are fish that are best kept alone. But convicts can live happily with oscars they are big enough to not be eaten and tough enough to stand up to one but pose no real threat.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Why would you propose getting one of this and one of that? I think most fish are happier in groups of their own kind and a group of fish of one species looks more attractive than one single individual. And Oscars get huge and are typically aggressive. Why not a school of angelfish or discus or other cichlids?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Its a good idea but because I prefer large south American cichlids and oscars aren't all they are cut out to be if they can't eat it they usually aren't that aggressive especially when raised from babies with their tankmates. And because i like variety its what I prefer everyone has a preference when it comes to their aquarium. I just like having different species in my tanks.

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, gallon, stock, stocking, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com