125 gallon tank stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loverofdogs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am hoping to get a 125 gallon tank in the near future, and want to plan everything out beforehand. Here is the rough draft of what I believe might work:
6 angelfish (I heard they can be aggressive, but would this number work in this size tank?)
2 bristlenose pleco
6 rosy barb (I heard they are some of the more peaceful barbs, and that if I put them in at the same time as the angelfish then it will diminish aggression)
9 mollies (I would get all females so that they don't have fry all of the time. I realize that they might have some because of them being able to wait and have fry long after being in contact with a male)
(maybe 3 dwarf gouramis and 6 mollies instead of 9 mollies? I know that the dwarf gouramis can be quite aggressive, so any opinions?)
peacock eel? (there isn't a lot of information about these out there)

or maybe this instead:
15 rummy nose tetras (add these first with mollies to allow them to grow before adding angelfish)
6 angelfish
1 bristlenose pleco
6 rosy barbs
5 mollies

Please tell me what you think may or may not work, or any other suggestions for what may work. Thank you very much for your help!

I am hoping to get a 125 gallon tank in the near future, and want to plan everything out beforehand. Here is the rough draft of what I believe might work:
6 angelfish (I heard they can be aggressive, but would this number work in this size tank?)
2 bristlenose pleco
6 rosy barb (I heard they are some of the more peaceful barbs, and that if I put them in at the same time as the angelfish then it will diminish aggression)
9 mollies (I would get all females so that they don't have fry all of the time. I realize that they might have some because of them being able to wait and have fry long after being in contact with a male)
(maybe 3 dwarf gouramis and 6 mollies instead of 9 mollies? I know that the dwarf gouramis can be quite aggressive, so any opinions?)
peacock eel? (there isn't a lot of information about these out there)

or maybe this instead:
15 rummy nose tetras (add these first with mollies to allow them to grow before adding angelfish)
6 angelfish
1 bristlenose pleco
6 rosy barbs
5 mollies

Please tell me what you think may or may not work, or any other suggestions for what may work. Thank you very much for your help!

Either one should probably work. Peacock eels are escape artist just so you know.

With the eel you might have a problem with them eating your smaller fish , I would add him last and let the angels and everyone get some size . And with that size of tank you could do a fire eel?

thank you all for responding, I feel like a school of rummynose tetras would look really cool in the tank, but how do you think the options work in size comparison to the tank? I want the fish to look like they belong in the tank, but I don't want really large fish that are half the size of the tank. (did that make any sense at all?) I want the fish to look proportionate to the tank...would this be achieved with these fish?

thank you all for responding, I feel like a school of rummynose tetras would look really cool in the tank, but how do you think the options work in size comparison to the tank? I want the fish to look like they belong in the tank, but I don't want really large fish that are half the size of the tank. (did that make any sense at all?) I want the fish to look proportionate to the tank...would this be achieved with these fish?

I think so. A school of 20 or so ottos woukd be cool as well. They exhibit awesome schooling in larger groups.

I have a 220g tank with 12 angels. So 6 angels would be good. In larger tanks adding 6 or more angels actually spreads aggression throughout the group so no one individual gets harassed all the time.

IMO the second grouping is better with no eel. I'd also double the Rummynose amount. I have a school of 30 in the 220 and have considered adding more. Also since Rosy barbs get large you could consider a group of 10 or more cherry barbs. I have 15. Also instead of mollies I'd go for a schooling fish that tends to use the upper levels. I have a large group of Threadfin Rainbowfish. At a ratio of 1m:1f you get a lot of displaying from the males and their long fancy fins. Then if you want to be a little different you can get 1 BNP (I have a long fin albino bnp) and then get a group of whiptail catfish. They are in the pleco family. I have 3 different species with my Royal Whiptail being my favorite. You can also consider some loaches for the bottom and as a clean up crew. I have 6 Angelicus but have kept yo-yo's and dwarf chain loaches also. If you do add oto's I suggest waiting for the tank to mature to at least 4 months as they don't do well in new tanks. You can do dwarf gourami's, no more than 3 tho but still may have issues. Or a nice pair of Pearl Gourami's.

Would it be ok for me to use black phantom tetras instead of rummynose tetras?

Thank you all very much for helping me.
I believe that this is my current stocking idea:
6 angelfish
15 rummy nose tetras
1 bristlenose pleco
6 rosy barbs
5 mollies

Thank you all very much for helping me. I believe that this is my current stocking idea: 6 angelfish 15 rummy nose tetras 1 bristlenose pleco 6 rosy barbs 5 mollies

Put a pair of pleco one male one female

Black ruby barbs would be a nice peaceful option. A pearl gourami could work too

Back
Top Bottom